did the PI swap and well.......

kid rock

Reaction score
i obviously didnt do the RTV sealent bit right, as i done the whole intake swap, used the PI gasket and put the sealent around the 2 missmatchs around the collant tubes and let it sit for 24hrs

then did a check and everything looked fine, so started the car up fine, let the idle settle and gave it a blip on the throttle......coolant leak! at both spots with the sealent!

so i now have to do it again, anybody that has done this before can you please chip in with what you have done and how you sealed up the mismatch??

i have been looking at the hiperformancesolutions.com adaptor plates as a way around the mismatch but would like to know weather anybody has actually used theese adaptor plates, or an easy way round sealing up the mismatch??

cheers guys

Si :drunk:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Heh heh, I'm not laughing at you so don't take it wrong......your case points out my feelings on doing the swap and NOT getting the plates. I am completely against doing a rtv seal on something that does not match up right. I know there are a lot of guys that say ' its OK ' and it will work :blah2: :blah2: :blah2:

I don't buy it and I never will, there is a right way to do work and a wrong way, not getting the proper equipment for a job like this is the WRONG WAY in my opinion. When I got my 98 GT dynoed at Wayne's Dyno and Performance in Jacksonville NC ( this was about 2 years ago ) I had the PI intake on my car, I got the kit from Livernois Motorsports that had the plates with it. Wayne the dyno owner asked me about how and where we got the kit and the plates, he remarked about having several GT's come in and they had the PI intake on them with globs of sealant on them because they were too damn cheap to pop for the plates :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:. I thought this was very funny I guess you had to be there to get the full effect of how he said this, and he is exactly right. Everyone has their own opinion, and their are guys that think the rtv is the way to do it, but at the same time there are a lot of guys that think that is the way to Jerry rig it up :nonono: :nonono:

If I were you I would go ahead and get the plates, do it right and not have ANY MORE LEAKS. On the other hand you can strip it down and give it another try with the rtv :D :D

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
i agree...do it right or dont do it at all. Don't ghetto rig an important aspect of the car...do it right the first time and you won't have problems!

S

scarface

ehhhh...to each there own. I havent had any issues. I couldnt see any point in buying plates, when I have the whole swap here waiting to installed.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
ehhhh...to each there own. I havent had any issues. I couldnt see any point in buying plates, when I have the whole swap here waiting to installed.

your car is a PRIME one to use the plates instead of rtv.........you have forced induction, i would be scared to death that the boost pressure would cause failure with that silicone crap :(

S

scarface

Snakebit said:
scarface said:

your car is a PRIME one to use the plates instead of rtv.........you have forced induction, i would be scared to death that the boost pressure would cause failure with that silicone crap :(
you shouldnt be worried Brian...Im not :)

on a side note...when I did the swap, there were NO plates avalible. If it ever blows out, I will just swap in a Forged PI engine.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:

you shouldnt be worried Brian...Im not :)

on a side note...when I did the swap, there were NO plates avalible. If it ever blows out, I will just swap in a Forged PI engine.

that would be the thing to do.......hmmmm why dont you up your boost to 24lbs and lets get this project started ;D

S

scarface

Well techincally I am running 15-17psi out of the SC. However with the cams I am only seeing 12. Once you have more HP than me, I might get motivated...lol

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
scarface said:
Well techincally I am running 15-17psi out of the SC. However with the cams I am only seeing 12. Once you have more HP than me, I might get motivated...lol

well then you have about 2 months left :naughty:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:........yea me too :-\

Ive got a tough situation right now, we are looking to buy a new piece of land to move our home too and I'm short on cash. Still plan on getting the blower unless it gets too tight....... :(

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
so what are the plans snakebit?? or are they top secret??

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
so what are the plans snakebit?? or are they top secret??

no they are not private ^-^, everyone here knows......I have my eye on a ATI Procharger Stage 2 with the 3 core intercooler, and I want to get some axles out of a 03-04 terminator to up-date the ones I have now. A new clutch too at the same time the blower is put on. Everything still looks OK but i don't know whats going to happen with the land we are looking at :dunno: its about 3 miles from where we are now, but its in a MUCH nicer neighborhood. its in the city limits so it has County sewer and water / trash pick up every Friday / city :police: patrol. The lot is right at a full acre its about 100 ft wide and just over 400ft deep, asking price is in the 40's it has not been specified yet. I have to meet with the owner and discuss final price. Its really good, most places are about a quarter of this size and go in the 30's :(

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
scarface said:

How would forced induction effect RTV on the coolant jackets? Maybe if you were RTV'ing the induction ports but thats not the case...this was a leak because it wasn't done correctly...its not hard to do and you barely use any RTV at all.

Please take a picture of the RTV that was put on...i'm betting you put on too much and it chunked off. The PI gasket almost seals it up completely...you just need a dab on the corners, thats it...check around and make sure its leaking from that area and not somewhere else.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
Snakebit said:
scarface said:

How would forced induction effect RTV on the coolant jackets? Maybe if you were RTV'ing the induction ports but thats not the case...this was a leak because it wasn't done correctly...its not hard to do and you barely use any RTV at all.

Please take a picture of the RTV that was put on...i'm betting you put on too much and it chunked off. The PI gasket almost seals it up completely...you just need a dab on the corners, thats it...check around and make sure its leaking from that area and not somewhere else.

there is no way I would have a seal with rtv and forced induction on a motor, that's just my feeling.

I don't like using silicone period so I'm bias against it in the first place.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
why not just throw on some PI heads and cams instead of wasting money on adaptor plates...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
19mustang95 said:
why not just throw on some PI heads and cams instead of wasting money on adaptor plates...

Amen, there is the answer to end all this RTV talk :boink:

S

scarface

19mustang95 said:
Thats exactly why I didnt use plates. I have the heads, just wanted to get the car tuned while I was building my PI engine. So I slapped on the intake.

OP
OP
K

kid rock

Reaction score
wow guys 17 replys so quick!

its on both the mismatch points so im pretty sure it is the mismatch points

i will try and remember and take some pics of the silicone when i re do it soon!

i havent used adaptor plates for 2 reasons

1)livernois wont ship them to the UK (was gonna buy the full kit off them but they dont ship so i dont buy) and hiperformance solutions arent selling theres yet (as far as im aware) correct me if im wrong

2) as far as im aware it raises the intake and T/B+plenum upto high and there is contact with the hood (correct me if im wrong)

at the time the muzzie was my only car and needed it for work (non PI intake cracked) so done the swap over xmas ( i have since bought a nice diesel car for work) so had to do the swap with sealent (which didnt work grumble grumble)

ad i cant afford to do the whole swap so intake only it is!

Si

P.S any other ideas? or places that sell the plate??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online