differential questions

Thomas_W

Reaction score
What is involved in rebuilding the diff in time? I am trying to weigh the cost with the problem that I have 100 different things to do..

Time wise.. Depends..

if you take the pinion and differential somewhere that has an arbor press, 30-40 minutes to replace those bearings. Then another 1-2 hours to replace axle bearings and seals. If you reuse the factory pinion and diff shims in their original positions and you get lucky, you may not have to reshim the diff and adjust the ring gear backlash

so just a few hours

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What was the difference you were talking about in the brands with one vs the other/burn outs ect? The car will just be a fair weather driver %90 of the time but I am not going to be afraid to make a track day if one comes up from drag strip to parking lot/cones. I want to enjoy it.....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The T2 that Tew was talking about is an excellent differential. It is however more geared for road racing/twisties. They don't do well in hard daily use or 1/4 mile action.

The 03/04 diff is perfect for all around driving and can handle 400hp easily.

I went with an Auburn Pro because I like overkill.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok thanks and its obviously 31 spline. Just need the axles/gears and accesories? Any help there as to good/better/best? Hoping for some 4th of july sales....

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mosers are probably what you will find the easiest, and they are great axles.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would go strange if I was buying axles now. I had some fitment issues with 2 different sets of mosers.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The place building my rear end basically only deals with strange and moser. They prefer strange in most cases. If that makes any difference. if you want some hardened ARP wheel studs, I've got some for sale!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
want? no I don't want any but I am going to need a set. I have the same package on 3 different sites hoping for a good 4th of july sale...

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, shoot me an offer. I bought them from Mustangchris a while back, but I won't be able to use them because the axles I am getting take a different sort of stud

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just to make sure we are talking rear of course since that is all we have talked about so far. I am also going to need longer fronts because of the spacers and just want to make sure what we are talking about.

Made the order on AM. I was a little surprised Cj's didn't know the brand of the one 31 spline axle they sold, and that with better/moser axles and the same rest of the junk AM was still $90 less. What is needed to be done with the abs reluctor wheel or what ever is needed for the abs stuff on this install?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
just to make sure we are talking rear of course since that is all we have talked about so far. I am also going to need longer fronts because of the spacers and just want to make sure what we are talking about.

Made the order on AM. I was a little surprised Cj's didn't know the brand of the one 31 spline axle they sold, and that with better/moser axles and the same rest of the junk AM was still $90 less. What is needed to be done with the abs reluctor wheel or what ever is needed for the abs stuff on this install?

I dont believe moser has the ability to use ABS. Strange has a specific ABS wheel for their axles.

Or just get rid if that junk.... Because... Racecar

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I dont believe moser has the ability to use ABS. Strange has a specific ABS wheel for their axles.

Or just get rid if that junk.... Because... Racecar

"Worried about deleting your factory ABS? Well now you don’t have to with Mosers quality design you can relocate your factory ABS sensors when installing your new Moser axels!"

Thomas_W

Reaction score
"Worried about deleting your factory ABS? Well now you don’t have to with Mosers quality design you can relocate your factory ABS sensors when installing your new Moser axels!"

Well in that case, call moser and ask

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am sure they will have instructions for it I just like to look over the instructions on stuff I don't know about prior to getting them to be prepared. If it needs some special tool I would probably have to order it or find someone that has one as there doesn't seem to be much available around here.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I met the ups man as though I was a 14 yr old virgin in the waiting room of a whore house. My motor/wrenching buddy told me that the ups dude must have just thrown his on the porch from 8-10 ft away as he has splines that were messed up on his so I was listening for the hum of the truck all day. I am amazed that there are NO instructions with the axles. After searching around I can't find any info on the abs reluctor ring other then one video saying that I could get them on the axle to save time. My friend said that he has done this and there is a shop here in town that has a special bit for the press to do this so hopefully that will not be a big deal. He has also said to get ring gear bolts from autozone as they will need to be replaced, any other last minute advice here? I am considering starting the tear down tonight after I get my oil sump emptied so I can take the new/old parts to get the rings swapped.
IMG_20160707_123537.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well crap after a weather/power delay I finally started this today. Got the sway bar off, diff cover and then went for the bolt that locks the pin it and it was really tight. I was able to lift myself off of the ground and it was still not budging. So I went to the impact and was happyt see it started spinning till I realized it had stripped the bolt head off. I welded two nuts to it the 2nd one bigger then the first hoping to get more torque on it but they both twisted off again after I had lifted myself off the ground trying to turn them. Even with the heat from the welding its still stuck. Short of drilling it out, am I shopping for a new rear end now?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are talking about the differential pin bolt with the tiny head. It comes out, then you can knock the pin out to push the axles in to remove the c-clips.

If that is damaged, it should be fine since you have an entirely knew differential, axles, and gears from the look of it. Basically you are only reusing the housing, and, I can see, you are replacing half of that as well ;p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.