DIY Video - Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends

Horus Works

Reaction score
Hey all, here is a walkthrough video I made for changing the ball joints, and tie rod ends, while I did this job on my car.

Here are the torque specs:
Ball joint stud nut - 148-202 Nm (109-149 lb-ft)
Tie rod end nut - 47-64 Nm (35-47 lb-ft)
Front stabilizer bar link to the front suspension lower arm - 16-22 Nm (11-16 lb-ft)
Brake caliper retaining bolts - 100-130 Nm (74-95 lb-ft)
Lug nuts - 115-142 Nm (85-104 lb-ft)

Hope it helps somebody out

Last edited:

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
Great video man, I'm following step by step, but |I'm stuck at the 4:26. I cannot seem to separate the rod from the spindle. I bang it, put lubricant inside, but it seem to be rust welded / stuck. Any pointers on separating it? I Even tried to use 2 and 3 jaw gear puller but they keep slipping. Thing is realy stuck in there. I dont want to let the spring drop it I want to avoid potential damage at the steering rack.

lutter94

Reaction score
Great video man, I'm following step by step, but |I'm stuck at the 4:26. I cannot seem to separate the rod from the spindle. I bang it, put lubricant inside, but it seem to be rust welded / stuck. Any pointers on separating it? I Even tried to use 2 and 3 jaw gear puller but they keep slipping. Thing is realy stuck in there. I dont want to let the spring drop it I want to avoid potential damage at the steering rack.

Have you tried heating the spindle? That should make it grow a little bit. Just a blue bottle torch and try again.....

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
Have you tried heating the spindle? That should make it grow a little bit. Just a blue bottle torch and try again.....
Unfortunately I don't have such technology. The only thing I got is a heat gun, and its not hot enough heat to make it red hot. Perhaps i can try to get it, but I'm a little hesitant to use such device.

lutter94

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have such technology. The only thing I got is a heat gun, and its not hot enough heat to make it red hot. Perhaps i can try to get it, but I'm a little hesitant to use such device.
I wouldn't say red hot is your goal, that sounds pretty hot. Idk where you live, but some store local to you should have this linked below. Add some heat, try the hammer. Add some more heat, try the hammer more.

joemomma

Reaction score
The videos always make it look easy :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online