Do you jack from the pumpkin?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ooh, Chris! You’re teetering dangerously close to gettin’ your man card pulled for reading instructions/manual. Rule #01-04(a) of The Man Code, which states, and I quote, “Thou shall not read or refer to
directions, instructions or manuals of any kind for any reason whatsoever “.
End quote!!!
ROFLMFAO!!!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can I get a ruling from the members hereof??

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't expect to change anyones mind. I know people have been doing it for years because its easy and they never had a problem but I know plenty of bad things people have been doing for years that is not the best way to do it and will tell you its not a problem because of that. I still have to think in my head that the diff case was made to keep the axles in place and its made plenty strong to do this but its just not the best way to jack it up. Since I got the floor jack and sfc's it would save maybe 10 mins.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can I get a ruling from the members hereof??

edf34a80df104cb92d01f816d1b58525.jpg

I feel it’s appropriate and I second the ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEURON

Reaction score
On my 35th car now, had a garage for a few years, never a problem. And numerous friends and acquaintances did it to. I like the safety of it, jack it up and slip in the jack stands, done, much safer for me.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The diff case is pretty thick about the same as a cast block
It takes a lot to break one

The concern is warping the diffy cover, not the case itself. The OEM cover is about as thick as a frying pan.

Anyways, you all can keep jacking up your cars however you want. They're your cars. I've never personally had an issue jacking from the pumpkin, either (as I mentioned, I ignored Duffy's suggestion at first.)

*BUT* in the spirit of filling this forum with quality tech information, I'll post a picture of the 1996 Ford Service Guide tonight when I get home so we can all know what the OEM *suggested* process is.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I took a look last night and yep, the prior owner had buggered up the rear cover of my 98 from jacking the pumpkin. Good thing I have another cover ready to go on. I have the same worries as ttocs. Yeah, the center chunk is pretty strong, but I wonder if the axle tubes are up to being used to support the rear of the car without bending.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I guess I should ask you guys how big is the plate on the jack and deep
Mine is 7 inch round and 1 in a half inch deep

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
honestly if we have to start qualifying which jacks are used then we know there is a problem. I think that while its been done a million times no matter how much care is taken it can still lead to damage. This does not mean that you can't have the car slip off the jack when jacking from the correct location but at this point we are jacking up 20-25 yr old piece that was not designed to do what we are doing to it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I took a look last night and yep, the prior owner had buggered up the rear cover of my 98 from jacking the pumpkin. Good thing I have another cover ready to go on. I have the same worries as ttocs. Yeah, the center chunk is pretty strong, but I wonder if the axle tubes are up to being used to support the rear of the car without bending.

Your worried about the axle tubes holding up the weight of the car while jacking it up???

What do you think holds the weight of the car when the tires are on the ground?? Asking for a friend.............

apsmith49921

Reaction score
The weight of the vehicle rests on the rearend. I think its fully capable of supporting the weight. Now as for axle tubes. The axle tubes are pin welded in 2 spots on each side. Now the tubes have help in supporting the weight via the axle in the center. However the axle touches the tube at 2 spots the axle bearings and the diff. The weight sits on the tires at the outer ends.

Now I may not have explained that for everyone to gather but makes sense to me.

This is why i believe its safe to support a car by its rearend whether it's the axle tubes or the pumpkin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Your worried about the axle tubes holding up the weight of the car while jacking it up???

What do you think holds the weight of the car when the tires are on the ground?? Asking for a friend.............

The load is transfered from two points on either side of the car, the wheels, to the axle maybe 6" away from the shock. Where as when ya jack from the pumpkin now you have all the load in one spot that then transfers that load 2.5 ft away from the shock that then moves the body. See the difference?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online