OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
like 07GtS197 was saying you can get the tool rent or buy and press back in
AutoZone orally pepboys should have it
Cool, thx! And now my stupid question: do I have to remove the PS pump to use the tool?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it looks like a 5 rib belt ? should have 6 ribs that cover hole pulley?
It’s a 6, I checked. But that thought occurred to me as well when I saw it so noticeably out of whack on the PS pulley. Good eye, thanks Muzzy!

TrickVert

Reaction score
Funny you should mention! I researched and fell into the Goodyear Gatorback belt which is now branded as the Continental Elite! Apparently very good for squeak elimination.
Now… research where to find!
I'm fairly certain my last Continental "Gatorback" came from Pep Boys.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain my last Continental "Gatorback" came from Pep Boys.
I just grabbed a NAPA 6- rib. Had to wedge the tensioner back with a crow bar to get the slack to remove old belt. Could not fit the life of me wedge it back to slip the new one on (yep, one pulley away from completion!). Pretty sure it’s seized up, so getting a replacement tomorrow morning. Very excited and can’t wait to finish this up, fire it up and pray for no squeaking sounds!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you sure your putting the belt on right and not trying to pull it over too far on a ribbed belt? Get it seated on all the pullies/tensioner except the small/smooth one on front/top and that is the one I slide it under while pushing on the tensioner.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ttocs,
Yes, I’m sure!
Rau,
No changes

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am confused why your using a crow bar? There is a 3/8" square on the tensioner that directly accepts a 3/8" ratchet to push/pull on it with.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am confused why your using a crow bar? There is a 3/8" square on the tensioner that directly accepts a 3/8" ratchet to push/pull on it with.
I did use the T-45 socket on a 3/8” drive. Broke it loose from the 12 o’clock position back to the 9 o’clock position which should have been enough to get the play required to get the belt off. But….. the tensioner wouldn’t swing over. It felt frozen up or seized. So, enter Mr. Crowbar!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so , who installed the belt before the one that frayed
BEFORE the one that frayed?? Who knows! It was on there when I bought the car about 1 1/2 yrs prior.
Why? Is the belt prior to the one that just fryers slightly significant? I need to learn here

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not as concerned with who put it on as much as how now that we are using crow bars to do it. Sounds like the tensioner needs to be removed and inspected or what is the plan now?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, the tensioner definitely needs to be removed and examined. I’ll be doing that this morning around 10:00. I’ll keep you posted on what I find out!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When you had your engine built
Did they or did they not install the belt
And they did not catch that

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If the shop did install
Let them know the bull shit you went through
I would walk up and down there ass

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When you had your engine built
Did they or did they not install the belt
And they did not catch that
Rau,
I can’t say for 100% certain that they installed the belt when they built the motor, but logic would dictate that they did. It was run on the Run Stand then delivered to Full Throttle where it was installed.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Rau,
I can’t say for 100% certain that they installed the belt when they built the motor, but logic would dictate that they did. It was run on the Run Stand then delivered to Full Throttle where it was installed.
so you did not install the belt , and they had the engine apart ,correct . i m taking it that the shop you took it to are the ones working on your motor and reinstalling it and every thing on that motor , that shop should have cought that , if they built that engine
other than you who touched that engine last. tensioners dont just go out belts dont just come off a pulley unless somthing is wrong

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its a little premature to plan on screamin at people when he has not completely figured out what is wrong yet and then on top of that I can't imagine the crow bar helped anything. Next time the belt doesn't just slip on take a closer look rather than getting a larger lever/hammer.