Door Locks turn on my dash lights :D

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
So it's been going on since I've had the car but when I press the door lock button it turns on my dash lights as long as I hold it. It doesn't function with unlocking or locking the doors at all.

Wish there was more too it but that's really it. I'm assuming it's something behind or near the dash and not the door panel. But really, what could I possibly be looking for and where that could be doing this?

Any schematics to look at or ideas?

Also a side issue but electrical as well is that none of my dome lights or visor lights work. So It must be something in the A pillar or lower that is messed up. Schematics ideas and so forth again.

Thanks, Jordan

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would suspect a keyless entry or alarm has either got bad wiring or is malfunctioning. Look and see if there is a factory keyless module and unplug it too see if that stops it.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I would suspect a keyless entry or alarm has either got bad wiring or is malfunctioning. Look and see if there is a factory keyless module and unplug it too see if that stops it.

That's actually a really good thought.
The keyless entry module that would be by the fuel pump switch in the trunk, right?

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Well I checked and I don't have the keyentry/antitheft system. So there goes that.On a side note I might add it later on:p

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now look up under the dash/steering colum and see if there an any additional wiring there. The drivers kick panel is another place that would be a likely spot for an aftermarket keyless to be installed so look in both of those spots for anything that doesn't look like stock wiring. After that take the door panel apart and see if there is anything in there that looks strange but there should be NO wiring for the dash/parking lights in the door... They would have had to really F something up royally to short it in the door....

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Not yet, it's really hard for me to build up the strength (overcome the lazy) to look at this.
I did notice while pressing the trunk release last night that it very very very faintly turned on the dash lights as well (it was extremely faint, but still there). lol
So I guess that's an update?

Sometimes the lock button works while still turning the lights on as well.

Gold4.6

Reaction score
Id look for any splices under neath the dash if you can see any. Look under kick panels and the door panels for splicing. You may have o drop your dash and take a look. Do your door locks work at all when hitting the buttons? If you do happens I find splicing it could be as bad as runnin a new harness or as easy as splicing the wires correctly together. Also if you have a wiring diagram you can look at the color of the wire to see if everything is pinned correctly. Man that would bother the hell out of me.

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
It does bug the hell out of me, not enough to rip into the car yet. Maybe this weekend!

But I can't think of any electrical work that occurred other than stereo related, years and years ago when it was my mom's she had an aftermarket headunit put in with rca cables and such. Then that unit was stolen (rca cables stayed) and itwas stock again. I then swapped it out for aftermarket again and did the install fine.

I don't recall at any point during this this switched over.

My money is on something wearing down and touching instead of some random splices. :p

Everytime I have a girl and me though, I gentlemanly open the door with the key for them and then my side so they don't have to wait while I sit down and get comfortable to open their down;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you open the door for her, and she doesn't unlock your side(and put out) kick her too the curb....

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Pull the dash bezel off and check the headlight switch connections and harness for signs of trauma. Mine melted and fused wires together at one point. All sorts of wierd stuff would happen!

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Pull the dash bezel off and check the headlight switch connections and harness for signs of trauma. Mine melted and fused wires together at one point. All sorts of wierd stuff would happen!
Well atleast it's an easy access point, but that's what I was thinking, melted things and such somewhere dealing with the lighting, possibly something melted leading to the roof lighting as well that entirely disabled it.
if you open the door for her, and she doesn't unlock your side(and put out) kick her too the curb....
Ever seen a bronx tale(I think that's what it was called)?
There's this test to see if the girl is good, you unlock her door and open it for her and then youwatch to see if she unlocks the door for you by not pulling the handle but by pulling up the lock. :p
She does sometimes
thumbsup.gif

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Except for the locks. The stock wiring hrns does come up and around the top of the dash behind that switch and it could have melted into them possibly....
Well I feel more enthuisastic about this now, sounds like I won't have to open too much stuff if it's just at the dimmer/headlight switch and I don't have to crawl on my back.
Yup def check this. Mine melted as well causing ridiculous issues.

Sent from Space
What kind of issues did you get?

OP
OP
L

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
Oh and what weird stuff happened for you too? lool

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the switch is known to get warm and can melt. If that is your problem you will know it as soon as you pull the switch and wiring out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online