Double Din in my 97

bmcgc

Reaction score
Looking for some advice:

My 97 Cobra had a Mach 460 when it was new. When I bought it, it had a horrible aftermarket HU wired into the factory system. I yanked that out day one.

My goals:

1. I want a oem appearence. I rarely listen to the radio in the car and when I do, its usually off my phone.

2. Plenty of volume. Between my car being a convertible and the exhaust, I need some volume.

3. As few buttons and menus as possible. If I have to read a book to learn how to use it, Im not interested. I just gave over 400 CDs to Goodwill, so I will not use a CD player.

What I have:

1. I have installed a 04 console, radio bezel and shifter bezel. I have a Explorer double din, single play CD, non premium radio.

2. I have run new speaker wire to each speaker location.

3. 2 6x8 co-axials for the front doors and 2 6.5 co-axials for the rear quarter panels. The tweeter pods will be left in place but not functional.

My thoughts:

1. Add a 4-channel amp with line level inputs.

2. Add a 4 channel amp, run one set of speakers off the HU, one set off the amp, and bridge the other amp outputs to a sub in the trunk.

3. Add a 4-channel amp, run the front speakers off the amp and bridge the other outputs for a sub in the trunk and skip the rear speakers.

4. Would I get better quality sound with a premium HU that has low level outputs? We have a Pick-N-Pull here, so I can pretty much get anything I want radio wise.

5. Remember, I want a oem appearance and I want it to be self explanatory. No manual or learning curve to use it. I have 5 vehicles and its a nightmare keeping up with how to use them.

Opinions?

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Its a money hole so Im not even thinking about it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
first you should not need to run new wires. There should be wiring ran from the tweeters to the dash so you can just use that as your speaker wires.

Yes you probably will get better sound from an aftermarket deck. Both the low level rca outputs as well as the higher output power wise will = better sound.

As for your amp/speaker questions that is really up to you but not sure why a 4 channel amp seems to be in the picture no matter what? If you did go with and aftermarket deck often people are more then happy with a sub/amp and the deck powering the mids/highs.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most new head units have features such as high pass and low pass crossovers built in. This allows you to block the lower frequencies from the interior speakers and with a sub and sub amp you’d be fine. This allows you to have better control and sound from the interiors without needing an amp or needing to rewire the speakers.

Buy a low priced pioneer radio that says it has those features, usually around $150-200. Cheaper sub and amps can be bought for around $300 for just a lil low end bass. Interiors can be had for anywhere from $100 to 300 for e try level speakers that will still sound like quite the improvement over stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In to see what you do. My 20 year old Sony Xplod is finally taking a dump lol!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online