Double Din swap

bmcgc

Reaction score
Im putting a double din single CD from a 04ish Expy in my 97 Cobra vert and doing a 01+ console swap at the same time.

Ive got some wiring questions on this swap that I will put in separate threads.

Im well aware that the oem HUs are crap, but I want a factory appearance and between this car being a vert and the exhaust I cant hear crap anyway.

I rarely listen to the radio.

This car originally had a Mach system. When I bought it, it had a crappy looking Sony HU and a cubby that wasnt made for a Mustang.

I have the necessary bezels, radio and the plugs I cut out of the car when I pulled the radio.

My plan is to replace the speakers and run new wires for them, add a FM modulator for bluetooth, and maybe a mini amp.

Questions:

The new HU has 2 plugs. I figured out the wiring, but I dont think all the wires are necessary.

The square plug has two wires: gray/black for vehicle speed and yellow for airbag. Can I omit this plug altogether?

The flat plug has everything else:

gray/yellow - hot in start: What is this for?

red/black - lights interior: Is this illumination, there isnt another wire for illumination.

white/yellow - constant power: Is this for memory?

I would like to remove the amps and any wiring that i can from the Mach unit or at least unhook them from power. Is this possible?

Lastly: Im going to run component speakers in the doors and would like to run woofers in the rear boxes. Can I squeeze a 8in sub in the box?

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Yes, the oem speakers are still in the car. At 21 years old and exposed to the elements every time the top is down, Im guessing they are in rough shape.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
Why?

I am replacing the existing speakers and running new wires from the new HU to the new speakers, so what does that have to do with the amps?

Ive had several Mach systems, Im surprised these amps are still functional, the others I had gave up a long time ago.

The only wires I intend to use from the existing harness are ground, illumination, 12+ start, run, acc.

Im waiting for someone to tell me if I need the airbag and vehicle speed wires.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok well if you were keeping the stock speakers they are strange/different ohm ratings then standard speakers. But since your replacing them that no longer matters.

Now you just need to make sure the radio you are installing is made to drive speakers directly, and not connect to amps(like the mach deck) or you will get no sound running wire from the deck to the speakers. I am not up to date on the expx and their sound systems but I would guess its an amplified system meaning you will need amps somewhere between the deck/speakers.

OP
OP
B

bmcgc

Reaction score
I pulled a standard radio. Single CD, only 2 plugs in the back. One of them is a flat plug with 4 pair of speaker wires, 3 grounds, 3 12+, and illumination.

The other plug has 2 wires, speed and airbag.

The amp radios have 3 plugs.

The challenge is going to be getting the radio centered and secure in the bezel. Im a bit of a carpenter so Im sure I can fab up something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online