Duel split port or single port?

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
I have a 96 Mustang v6 as many of you know should I go for the duel split port or single port? cause Ive thought about it alot and not sure if what I should do. And Im thinking about 200-230 rwhp and Ive read that doing the duel split port port would be the easier way to get that hp range but what mods would I have to do to get that with the single port?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
bonestock3.8DTH said:
I have a 96 Mustang v6 as many of you know should I go for the duel split port or single port? cause Ive thought about it alot and not sure if what I should do. And Im thinking about 200-230 rwhp and Ive read that doing the duel split port port would be the easier way to get that hp range but what mods would I have to do to get that with the single port?

230rwhp in a singelport? some type of forced induction

ported heads, ported intakes, and a cam will bring you to about 180rwhp.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
bonestock3.8DTH said:

230rwhp in a singelport? some type of forced induction

ported heads, ported intakes, and a cam will bring you to about 180rwhp.

high comp pistons and a stroker kit will get you there.... But go splitport. it is splitport, dual splitport would mean 4 not 2. It involves new heads intakes, tb custom fuel rail and a tune to do it. GO WITH A WINDSTAR UPPER! it kicks the shit out of the stock one. www.vap.comhttp:// talk to stephen. while you have the heads off call supersixmotorsports and get a cam with the appropriate rockers etc. and possibly a set of there heads. they are pricey but the best there is.

Untame-d

Reaction score
Wouldn't just be easier and cheaper to drop a PI 4.6 in?

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
Untame-d said:
Wouldn't just be easier and cheaper to drop a PI 4.6 in?

no. a splitport swap isn't that hard. Also an entire engine swap would be worse than just changing up the top half of the engine and some wiring. And you can get the split port stuff cheap if you are on a budget. plus 2v ftl. If he is going to do a v8 swap then put a 4v in it. Too many people hate their 2v's and for good reason.

shine1stang

Reaction score
check out gssmotorsports.com as well. A lil more affordable and over 30 years of engine building, and porting work

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
Couldnt I just do a 99-04 V6 swap in my car? cause that'd give me the splitport and I am going to be on a budget of probley around 3k maybe I hope ha but would the cam out of my 96 since it is wilder then the 99-04 v6 cam would I be able to put that in it? and would I also be able to use the short tube headers off my engine on the newer engine?

Miracle

Reaction score
So educate someone who doesn't know much about what's goin on here... what the difference in design?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Miracle said:
So educate someone who doesn't know much about what's goin on here... what the difference in design?

Singleport V6 engines (94-98 V6) have one long runner in the intake manifold per cylinder. the long runners give good low end torque. in 99 Ford added a second runner, a shorter runner, for each cylinder. giving the engine one short runner and one long runner per cylinder upped the output from 150hp to 190hp, and since the long runner was retained, Torque stayed in the same ballpark of 225ftlbs of torque

Miracle

Reaction score
Damn... good stuff. Never knew the difference. So this was only on the 3.8 V6's from the 90's?

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
bonestock3.8DTH said:
Couldnt I just do a 99-04 V6 swap in my car? cause that'd give me the splitport and I am going to be on a budget of probley around 3k maybe I hope ha but would the cam out of my 96 since it is wilder then the 99-04 v6 cam would I be able to put that in it? and would I also be able to use the short tube headers off my engine on the newer engine?

It's a bit wilder. But if your going to go through the trouble i doubt you would get a very noticeable gain. I would go with an aftermarket one.

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
alright thanks man so the headers would fit then? cause Im just toying around with a few ideas cause once I turn 17 Im going to put exhuast on her air intake and lower it 1-2 inches all the way around and Im going to get new set of wheels soon cause I need new tires for my car and my wheels have some pretty bad curb rash in a few spots

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
yeah Ive thought about doing that also Ill figure it out when I get there but just bought a set of 99 SVT Cobra Wheels for my car gonna put them on soon and hope to have pictures of them up after I do

Duke

Reaction score
I'm kinda torn between split-port swapping or SC swapping. Both require a good bit of tear-down and parts gathering.

OP
OP
B

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
If I was going to do either swap Id just swap hole engines I wouldnt do a tear down Id build the engine on a stand get it running and in good order then just do the engine swap it would probley be easier and my car would be off the road a shorter amount of time