duh09's 1994 Rio Red GT

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys, been looking for a cheap daily and ended up buying another little project car. Just couldn't resist getting another 5.0L car.

Picked it up yesterday locally for fairly cheap, the previous owner installed a HCI and couldn't get it to run right. He tried quite a few things but the car needs a tune, and he needed something to drive ASAP so I snagged it up. Still figuring out exactly what this car has but it supposedly is running a E303 cam, ProComp heads, 1.6 roller rockers, full exhaust, and he had a GT40 intake on it but he swapped it back to the stock one thinking that may fix the problem.

Plans are simple. Reinstall the GT40, toss my 24# injectors that are on my 95 on this car, and get it tuned. Wheels are coming off the 67, some small suspension mods to get it sitting where I want it, Cobra bumper and lights, and small bit of bodywork to get the one dent in the rear quarter out. Going to rob the 95 of its FR500 steering wheel and Bullit pedals along with a few other pieces this car needs and drive it everyday.

Just got the car to idle by installed the PCV valve and running the vacuum line to it, so should be pushing the 67 out and pulling this car in tonight to really get started on it. Better pics to come soon.

10440818_912189072131476_3700673426811705291_n.jpg

Win

Legend
Reaction score
GT40 Intake or a Explorer intake??

Looks good man. swap some of the 95 stuff on there and be done.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Ah man I want a 5.0L car. Really nice find and hope you get it squared away. Should be a nice fun daily. Add some spray!

RichV

Reaction score
Sounds like a good start. How's the interior? Why does it not run 'right'? My '94 with the GT40 H/I and e-cam can be a little funky part throttle, but runs fine without a tune.

Funny how sellers of 94/95 seem to always claim 'last of the 5.0' or 'rare'. But it seems there are like 3-1 5.0 vs 4.6 cars on here.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good start. How's the interior? Why does it not run 'right'? My '94 with the GT40 H/I and e-cam can be a little funky part throttle, but runs fine without a tune.

Funny how sellers of 94/95 seem to always claim 'last of the 5.0' or 'rare'. But it seems there are like 3-1 5.0 vs 4.6 cars on here.

In a nutshell, vacuum leaks were most of the problem. I've driven it a bit and its smoking some, going to do a compression test soon. About to go finish swapping wheels around and give it a bath and pictures will be up.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tires were shot on my rear KMC's so still rocking the Cobra R's... but here's a few decent quality pics.

10345569_10202234000791434_4267185166133094777_n.jpg

10505608_10202234000391424_8660435838019872556_n.jpg

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm really excited about this car.

Drove it to work and back today and it's def burning quite a bit of oil. Meeting up with the previous owner tomorrow night to pick up my intake and some other random small parts and find out exactly which heads and whatnot are on it. Did some research on the heads that I believe are on it and not finding a whole lot of positives but for a street car, they should be plenty fun. Just hoping they don't cost me power by being TOO big... but if that's the case, I'll just have to start saving for boost because that's the only reasonable thing to do... going smaller is just un-American. Regardless, 67 is getting pushed out into the heat to bring the 94 inside first thing in the morning and I'm going to spend most of the day messing with it and should get a good bit done.

Got a quote from my body guy on getting the dent fixed and blended in and will probably getting that done as soon as it's running and driving. I would like to get some new bumpers on down the road but I can live with the GT front and slightly wavy rear for awhile.

Here's my to-do list for the next few weeks:
-Figure out what's causing my oil to burn- thinking it's something head related (valve seals, poor machining of these cheap heads, etc), hoping it's nothing short block related.
-Clean up and reinstall GT40 intake
-Install 24# injectors (may have to buy some more, they're looking kinda rough)
-Possibly going all the way down to the headgaskets and redoing them to be safe, depends on what I find when I pull the intake
-Destroy all exhaust leaks (and there's a bunch)
-Get rid of the EGR system complete (EGR tube is kinked off, smog pump isn't hooked up to anything, all of it is saying bye-bye)
-Install manual seat slider on driver's seat
-Detail interior
-Rob the FR500 steering wheel and Bullit pedals from 95 and install
-Leaky timing cover seal needs to be fixed
-Get a wideband and install it
-Get it tuned (haven't decide where or how yet, but doing my research)
-New tires on the rear KMC's
-ISOs out of the front to get rid of the slight reverse rake (oh man do I hope they're there)
-Reinstall the lower trim piece below the steering wheel that in the trunk

Here's some of my more long-term, get them done over the next year goals:
-Better shocks
-C/C plates
-O/R midpipe that isn't homemade like what it's got now
-Dent repair
-Cobra lights/front bumper
-Shaved rear bumper
-New radio
-New gauge pointers
-Get rid of the shitty Sunpro gauges, reinstall the factory little pocket below the radio, and install some better electric gauges on the pillar
-FTR S197 front brakes, Cobra rears whenever these brakes need replacing
-Staggered Saleen reps

Here's what I hope to do eventually but don't hold your breath:
-Saleen T1 wing
-94-96 Export taillights
-Boost, preferably turbo but whatever I can get a deal on
-Watts link
-Coilovers
-New seats (not super racey, but like factory style Recaro's)
-Suede. Lots of suede. (that may happen sooner rather than the others)

heavyfoot

Reaction score
Wow that thing looks like it's in awesome shape.
That's what happened when I was found mine. I was looking for a daily driver and turns out I've got another project.
Congrats on the find and good luck with the mods.

RichV

Reaction score
That's such a clean looking car. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

MSRTom

Reaction score
Looking good. I love the wheels that you're planning to put on it. Let me know when you find a T1 wing... I know that Paul Brown was selling replicas through Tiger Racing but he died. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online