Dyno update!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well, got the first call today from my tuner. dropped my car off last night and he is doing a dyno tune on this new build I did. I really didn't know what to expect. Here's what's going on....he first said that something is going on with my converter. My converter is a BC-Auto single disc 3500 stall. I talked to Darrin recently and he said I have his older style ones, and they are so strong and it should hold up to my power. My tuner said they are locking up the converter, and three times in a row the car will pull hard to 5800 rpms, then the converter will unlock and the car is done making power. They dont know what to do yet, they are calling their people and I am trying to get in touch with Darrin. On a pretty awesome side note, The highest RPM the car has seen yet is 5800, it has made 15psi on the SI trim, and HE HAS NOT EVEN ADDED METH YET. The car made 516rwhp, forget the tq. He said when they can pull it to 6500, they are expecting the blower to push out 18-20psi, and at that point he will add the meth...they are expecting with just the converter fixed to be about 540rwhp, with meth about or a little over 600rwhp. He said the car pulls like an absolute animal. So I guess with the slightly bad news, comes good news. I'll just have to talk to some people and see whats going on with the converter, hopefully I dont need a new one. I may even just keep the car as is for now, and during the winter replace the converter and then get it re-tuned. If its an easy fix, then I'll address it now. Just wanted to update everyone!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
thanks a lot, I'm honestly already pleased with it in whole. I was only shooting for mid 500s and still have to fix this converter and add the meth. The real test will be to see how it is on the street!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
No vids/dyno graph yet...I havent went and gotten the car yet
we are going to see if we can figure out this converter, and if we can going to tune it with meth so I'll see if I can get a video for that

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score
Sickkkk...I can't WAIT to see/hear this thing. AM announced August 14th baby :headbang:

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
thanks for the props guys

Yeah...I already have AM marked on the calendar!!

ProKiller

Reaction score
that is some really good numbers. will be interested in seeing at the show. what about carlisle?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
thanks man, of course I'll be at carlisle, trailering it down friday morning and staying until Sunday

I talked to my tuner, he said there is nothing they can do. He even took my car out for a ride and said the converter is just wayyyy loose, and I need a triple disc on a motor like this. Sooo, its done for now. Made 516/460 something at 5800rpms and no meth yet. I'll have to get a new converter, build my rear, and get this baby back to the dyno to see what it really has in it

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Just sent him a PM. I just find it wierd that my converter is slipping like that...this car has never seen the track and I rarely even drive it and maybe had the converter for 8k miles....but at this power level maybe just a single disc wont do the job

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
who built it?

JR built Justin's. He was gonna build me a 4rw70 but i went manual instead.

he is on facebook too.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I dont know man...Ive had the same problems on the dyno.

My converter would unlock at like 5500-5800 rpms most of the timen
Just never wanted to stay locked on the dyno but on the street I dont have the problems.

It should stay locked on the street....I looked into it and seems to be a somewhat common problem with the autos not wanting to stay locked on the dyno.

Just something about the dyno or the way they try to lock it in gear messes with the computer and forces it to unlock.

Did your tuner data log converter slippage and see if the computer was commanding it to unlock?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
hmmm, see this makes me skeptical reading stuff like this. I would hate to spend $1000 on a triple disc converter, and have the same problem, ya know? I keep getting mixed wording, I just called a GM tuner by me that used to work for Corvette Paramedics and he helped me build the motor, and said that the single disc is my problem, that just one measly disc wont hold the power once it starts getting to peak and will slip every time...so hes agreeing with my tuner. I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow night and will actually sit down with the tuner and see what he did/didnt do

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
hmmm, see this makes me skeptical reading stuff like this. I would hate to spend $1000 on a triple disc converter, and have the same problem, ya know? I keep getting mixed wording, I just called a GM tuner by me that used to work for Corvette Paramedics and he helped me build the motor, and said that the single disc is my problem, that just one measly disc wont hold the power once it starts getting to peak and will slip every time...so hes agreeing with my tuner. I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow night and will actually sit down with the tuner and see what he did/didnt do

Yea..Im not sure man, It could very well be that the single disc cant handle the power. Would be interesting to see how it handled it on the street before you spent the money on the triple disc.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
went and grabbed my car tonight and spent over an hour talking to my tuner about whats going on. simply put, its the converter. He showed me all his data logging, all his file exchanging w/ SCT to see what they could find (they said everything he was doing was right on) and their response that the converter is slipping and a single disc isnt sufficient for my setup. The car still drives like a raped ape, but I know I will need a triple disc asap to really take full potential of my build. My power curve looks amazing, and it keeps wanting to pull before the converter would slip. My tuner said he doesnt think its crazy that when I replace the converter and they can pull it to 6700 that I will pick up anywhere from 40-80 more hp as well, thats how bad my converter is slipping. Here is the dyno:

IMG_0395.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.