Electrical problem....

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some help. I tried to jump start my 94 gt today and when I got into the car after connecting the cables I noticed that my interior lights were insanely bright. I didn't really think anything of it so I started the car. Once I turned the key the car started freakishly fast, my wipers came on and won't turn off and the inside of my car smells like burning electrical. I immediately disconnected the jumper cables and car shut off. Now the car won't start and the wipers won't turn off. What did I do??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like you let out some of the magic smoke. Electronics works on magic smoke like your car does gas and when you let it out, it will not run. Its harder to put it back in though..... Kind of a strange set of problems though. The wipers are on the multi function switch were as it sounds like your ignition might have finally crapped out. I would start first of course at the fuse box. Don't bother with the manual, just get on your back and pull/inspect them all and it will save you time. Don't forget the box under the hood and check the big fuses as well. After that if the fuses are good I would start at the steering column and if there are blown fuses the let me know which ones and we will go from there.

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
Ok.. So this morning I check the fuses in the car and under the hood. Inside the car had the #4 fuse blown. The previous owner installed some kind of hid headlight kit. The power cable for the kit has a fuse in it which is also blown. what do you think??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
HIDs are a lower current rating then the halogens that our cars came with but if they popped 2 fuses then something went wrong. I am not saying it IS the hids as the headlight switches are known to get hot in our cars and can melt. I would probably pull out the gauges shroud and see what you see back in the switch and the wiring going to it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't jump start it from a diesel truck did you?!?? I've seen someone do that once before and caused the same situation due to 24v system as opposed to 12v.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
I got in the car the take the trim around the guages off and when I opened the door I noticed some kind of electrical clicking noise in the back drivers side. I opened the trunk and it sounded like it was coming from a box looking thing that says anti-theft on it. The key wasn't in the ignition or anything. Then as I was about to send this post it started making the noise again.

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
Well.. My battery is being charged at and I removed the trim around the guages and removed the headlight switch. Anyone know how I could test the switch? I'm using a diagram from a bronco2 headlight switch who's looks exactly the same and my multimeter does nothing but when I test the harness in the same positions the multimeter goes to zero which means there is continuity. I also removed my ground wire from the battey and will be changing that due to the fact I found a chunk of insulation missing from it and the wire is exposed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will see if its melted.... The factory keyless alarm could be a source as well. Try disconnecting it and see if things work better.

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
Charged battery in, ground replaced and now the car starts right up. Wippers are still going and there is some kind of beeping sound inside the car and after a minute I smell the electrical smell again. Here is a video of the beeping. I wonder if it's the viper alarm.
http://youtu.be/3Fz8-E_Tacg

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
Well I don't think its the viper alarm. I removed the 2 fuses for the alarm and it continued to beep. Alarm stopped working but beep remained. And it doesn't seem to be coming from the radio or the speakers.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no that beeping is normally to alarm you that you have either a hazzard/warning light out or an air bag problem. Nothing to do with the viper alarm. If you can smell the smoke follow your nose

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
Did you notice the battery meter dip with every cycle of the wippers?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes I don't think its the source of the problem as much as it is a consequence. That box you heard clicking on the drivers side rear, the factory keyless entry, have you tried disconnecting it?

OP
OP
J

JonnyJabs

Reaction score
I just removed the three plugs from the box in the trunk. Engine would turn over but not start. So I plugged them all back in and it still won't start. Only turn over.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
94/95 didn't have an alarm as much as a keyless entry. There is no reason it not hooked up should stop anything from starting since this is all still way ahead of pats. Check fuses and dig into the wiring either at the gauges or possibly back by the keyless and see if you can find a bad spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online