Engine Braking Noise

RyanCess

Reaction score
Whenever my foot is not on the gas in any gear I hear a whining noise. I'm guessing that this is the engine brake but I'm not to sure. It's not a grinding noise it's just a whine and it sounds like it slows down with the rpm's. Anyone know what this is?

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
It also started or at least I noticed it when I put in my new short shifter. Could this be bad should I switch it back out?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
[MENTION=21203]RyanCess[/MENTION] Press the clutch in and see if the noise goes away. This summer i had a bad TO bearing. Sounded as you described but was totally silent when I pressed in the clutch. Instant I depressed i'd here it again. If so, its clutch related.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
The noise goes away when I put it in neutral, press the clutch in, or press the gas pedal.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
The noise goes away when I put it in neutral, press the clutch in, or press the gas pedal.

Are you absolutely positive the noise goes away while in neutral just sitting there on its own?... if it were a t.o bearing it would still make that whine noise in neutral.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Absolutely positive cause when you put it in neutral the rpm's go down to 1000 right? And when I do that the noise goes away. The only way I hear the noise is when my foot is completely off the gas while I'm in gear.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
5 speed? Its not uncommon for them to develop a noise like that. I have had mine since it was new in 94 and it was something that just over about a month suddenly I could hear it.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Absolutely positive cause when you put it in neutral the rpm's go down to 1000 right? And when I do that the noise goes away. The only way I hear the noise is when my foot is completely off the gas while I'm in gear.

Yes, if it were a t.o bearing you would hear it while it was idling sitting in your driveway with you out of the car. Im guessing its transmission related but thats a guess at best from the description you've provided.

OP
OP
R

RyanCess

Reaction score
Yes it's a five speed. Everything I described is what's going on and I described it to the best of my knowledge. Should I be worried about it?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Yes it's a five speed. Everything I described is what's going on and I described it to the best of my knowledge. Should I be worried about it?

Whats your mileage? Not to big a deal, id use it till shifting becomes a burden or car becomes un reliable. 98 v6 transmission swap is not too expensive, Your car has a t5 in it. Your specific t5 is an inexpensive transmission. Averages about $300-$600ish. Id find one rebuilt or get yours rebuilt so you do not have to worry.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if its just at the point that you hear it with the radio off, its no big deal. If the noise gets louder that you hear it with the radio on/up then its a concern. Otherwise its normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online