Engine build advice/opinions/suggestions

nolan62

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Y'all have been giving me great answers and help, so I'm going to throw this out and see what you think. Normally I build stock engines for my projects. But for my 95 I want a little more. A few points, I'm not racing, it's not a daily driver, it will be a weekend fun car. I have an old truck I drive during the week so I plan to use the Mustang on the weekends as a change up or if my truck breaks down on me. Remember, I'm looking for a good solid fun to drive street car that won't embarrass me at a stop light. Here's what I got:

6009-B50 Ford Racing short block with the high torque Explorer cam.
New GT40P heads, yes they are new, found them at a Head shop.
Explorer/GT40 EFI intake.
Cobra 1.7ratio roller rocker arms.
Misc parts, push rods, ARP bolts, Ford Racing gasket set, roller lifters.
I have the wiring 95 harness and stock Computer so I can add a tuner chip.

I do have a Trick Flow Stage I cam. Would this cam work well with this setup or should I stick with the Explorer cam? Either way I will probably need better valve springs.

Give me your thoughts on this engine. What would you do? What would you not do?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I would use the TFS1 cam hands down!!!

That would make for a fun street car with taller gears but wouldn't really run with the newer crowd. I know you said you won't be racing but we all said that. We all said we wouldn't "do too much" either. Everything listed PLUS long tube headers/complete exhaust, some minor suspension work AND a Vortech V2 could possibly put you in the low 12's/high 11's.

OP
OP
nolan62

nolan62

Reaction score
I would use the TFS1 cam hands down!!!

That would make for a fun street car with taller gears but wouldn't really run with the newer crowd. I know you said you won't be racing but we all said that. We all said we wouldn't "do too much" either. Everything listed PLUS long tube headers/complete exhaust, some minor suspension work AND a Vortech V2 could possibly put you in the low 12's/high 11's.

Ok, no official racing. While I don't abdicate street racing at any time, we all know about the jerk in the Camaro at the stop light trying to show off for his girlfriend. With that said, any extra ponies will be used in a mostly adult manner. I hear you laughing....

Do you think that cam with the 1.7 rockers will be OK? I'm sure I'll need to clay it even thought the pistons are notched. And those stock valve springs will never do.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You're alright man!!! I would send her down the track once or twice on a test and tune night [after you get it tuned] because your trap speed will be a true indicator of the power output. Speaking of tuning, I would recommend a Moates Quartermaster chip and a conversation with [MENTION=8201]Addermk2[/MENTION] [Keith] about a tune.

As you mentioned, always check piston to valve clearance. I'll research if 94/95 Cobra owners ran into any issues using that cam. I would use the springs Trick Flow recommends for that cam, just to be 100% sure.

OP
OP
nolan62

nolan62

Reaction score
What if I just blow my annual bonus and replace these heads and intake with a Trick Flow Top End kit? Would I be better off doing that than putting together a bunch of stock Ford parts? AND, if I did that what about my computer?

full force

Reaction score
I would use better heads and cam myself, even if you went with GT-40 Y or X heads and letter cam, the Ford stuff seems to work well together....

What if I just blow my annual bonus and replace these heads and intake with a Trick Flow Top End kit? Would I be better off doing that than putting together a bunch of stock Ford parts? AND, if I did that what about my computer?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The TFS top end kit is pretty well proven for a great street package, plus everything is matched. You'd simply need to have your car tuned afterwards.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

This would be ideal.

OP
OP
nolan62

nolan62

Reaction score
Well, who needs a wife when I got you guys to spend my money!:D I guess at my age and after raising 2 boys I deserve to do something nice for myself, right. I should have my bonus in a few weeks and I'll do the Top End Kit. That way I'll know it works and I shouldn't have any fitment problems. Anything else pops into your heads let me know. Thanks!

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You're gonna need a spacer for the upper intake to clear the valve covers, why it doesn't come with the damn kit I'll never know. The spacer kit will also come with longer bolts to secure the upper, just call TFS when you're ready and they'll point you in the right direction on thickness and whatnot. Also be prepared to change your throttle body or adapter, not saying you're gonna have to change either one but don't be surprised if you do. Some do and some don't, depends on what you've got.

OP
OP
nolan62

nolan62

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that on cjpony. It's a 3/8" spacer and I looked up the kit on TF site. I also went ahead and emailed TF support last night to verify the kit number and any thing else I needed to know or buy for this in a 95 Mustang. I hate it when you find out one little part missing holds up your fun for days.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a brand new, still in the boxes, TFS track heat kit I'm getting rid of for $2500. It's too bad you're not closer.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
didnt bother reading all posts but if you use a cam bigger than the explorer cam with the gt40p you need to upgrade the valve springs . theres a guy on ebay that has these 600 lift springs that are awesome on the gt40p i run on my car . contact Alex's parts 530-672-8369 or visit the site at www.alexsparts.com his name is Alex Krasowski he is a solid fellow . good luck man

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online