Engine removal thread???

5literstang95

Reaction score
Has anyone done an engine removal write up? I'm starting to remove my stock 5.0 from my 95 GT and was looking for some step by step or direction on where to start with with fuel lines, grounds, harness, ect. I have the fan and radiator, power steering line to the pump, air inlet tube, and battery and tray removed. Any help would be great. Thanks

RichV

Reaction score
Why are you removing it?

Depending on what you are doing, it may be easier to, or not to, some things. I've done it so many times it's like 2nd nature.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a huge step by step write-up that i used back in the day when I did mine but I can't find it now. If you've never done anything like that before it seems intimidating but you'll probably be surprised by how easy it is.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a huge step by step write-up that i used back in the day when I did mine but I can't find it now. If you've never done anything like that before it seems intimidating but you'll probably be surprised by how easy it is.

This, it's a little time consuming. you'll learn some new curse words. you'll forget a few things, you'll wonder why it's not starting and then realize you didn't get a good ground, and then you'll be like "o, that wasn't so bad"

kb1982

Reaction score
First thing is to mark everything or take lots of pictures so you dont forget how it all goes back together. Simple piece of tape on connections labeled A on both ends, B and so forth works fine. I usually start with fuel lines, coolant lines,power steering lines, vac lines, then all electrical connectors. If your gonna pull the engine and tranny out together, I always take out the radiator for more room. Its pretty simple, but what helps the most it to stay organized.

OP
OP

5literstang95

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This is my 4th 5.0 mustang but the 1st time I've pulled the engine. I put a new T5 in it this summer and that was pretty easy so I just dropped the trans this time. It was pretty straight forward and I labeled everything good. Removed the radiator. I deleted the a/c and smog stuff too. The reason im pulling it is because it started dumping a bunch of oil around the rear seal and I want to build it up this winter.

OP
OP

5literstang95

Reaction score
I asked this in another forum but I just want to ask here. I got a 84 302 lincoln motor from my father in law. He bought the long block new from Ford and it only has about 10k on it. Its the 302 firing order and non roller. It would save me some money if I can run that short block. What are my options for a roller cam other than link bar lifters? I've heard I can run a 351w flat tappet to get the correct firing order and my computer will work fine. Will any flat tappet work with the stock EFI? I want to run GT40 heads and intake also. I'm not against the link bar lifters, I'm just curious.

kb1982

Reaction score
Even if you do get another flat tappet cam to match the 351 and 302 HO firing order, you still need new lifters to go with the new cam, as used flat tappet lifters shouldnt be used with a new cam. After all that, you might as well just get a set of link bar lifters to go with a roller cam. You can pick up stock and aftermarket used cams pretty cheap, which will offset the cost of the lifters. Just be aware, your valve springs on the heads will need to match your lift capabilities of the new cam also.

OP
OP

5literstang95

Reaction score
That sounds like a plan to me. I'm not sure what pistons are in it yet. I've tried to google it but couldn't find much. Any cam recommendations?

NXcoupe

Reaction score
That shortblock is going to be lower compression than your current one. just an fyi. I wouldn't use it if I were you, but that's just me.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And how do I put pictures at the bottom like you guys???

If you are talking about the images in the signature section, I made a post for another member on the steps to link in something like a build thread, go here to see it. You can also add pictures if you want, it's in the same place, so the steps are still applicable.

I too would be interested in see a step-by-step or how-to, preferably with pictures, for how to remove an engine. I need to do it as well - I understand that just looking at it and doing it will get it done, but seeing a guide before attempting it also helps with the preparation. If anyone knows of something like this, a link would be appreciated.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION] you just call me and we get it done, that's how it happens lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mcglsr2 you just call me and we get it done, that's how it happens lol

I like the sound of that. Removing the engine is nice too ;) loz Do you usually drop the trans first, or the whole thing comes out? And FYI, I do have an engine crane.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just remember to drain the trans fluid or install a tailshaft plug or use an old yoke so the fluid doesn't drain out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online