Engine start button

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol that sounded kinda gay but yea, it will be on my mod list after a while. right now i'm just wanting to fix the car back up to nice status lol

Nater

Reaction score
I will take pictures for you guys. Just bought a push button switch for mine. It will be located in a control panel within the ashtray compartment in the center console. My knob for the lightswitch has already been deleted.....Each light is controled by a separate switch on the control panel. I can turn the headlights on independant from all other lights. Same goes with park lights and fog lights.

voidfinger

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
lol voidfinger.... :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

You were talking to me right? Unless there is anothe Mitchell I don't know about.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well how about that shit. Another Mitchell falls out the woodworks.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
You guys keep getting me excited that maybe someone posted something important and then.... :hammer:

Nater

Reaction score
I will try to get some pics for you this weekend...Last weekend had to work so I didn't get a chance...

Nater

Reaction score
I will....So far I have all the lights separated out also. Each set of light has their own switch. No more having to have park lights on to have headlights on, and no need to have the headlights on to have the foglights on....

Nater

Reaction score
Here is what I got from the Chiltons Manual for the starter system.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nater

Reaction score
not as of yet..been busy at work and haven't really had a chance to take pics....

spdfrek

Reaction score
You could just check the12volt.com for the wiring info you need. Or break out the mutli meter and test the ignition harness to find it. Either way is pretty easy.

Nater

Reaction score
Hey guys, it was easier than I thought....Going off the Chilton's wiring schematic, I was able to get it to work....Don't have any pics, but it was fairly straight forward. I HAVE NOT STARTED THE CAR USING THE NEW SWITCHES BECAUSE IT IS STILL PRETTY MUCH APART DUE TO A TRANSMISSION SWAP. IF I HAVE TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN HERE I WILL.Here it goes.....
*****NOTE NOT ALL MODELS AND YEARS WILL USE THE SAME WIRE COLOR CODING! THIS GUIDE WAS BASED OFF A 1997 GT CONVERTIBLE******

1. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE ATTEMPTING!!!!
2.The first thing you will need do is remove the plastic kick panel and lower cover for the steering colum. This will make it easier to work around.
3. I already had my driver's seat removed, so it was a little easier for me, but you will need to lay on you back unless you are really good contortionist.
4. The ignition control is bolted to the middle part of the steering colum. It is held up by to Torx style screws. With the key in the "ON" postion remove those two bolts. This will allow the entire connector to move around, which is easier to get to the correct wire.
5. Here is where you can choose to what you want to do....With mine, even if you have the key in the "ON" position it will not mean that you can just push the start button and the car will run. I have a little "saftey" switch wired between the push button start. You need to flip that switch first before the push button becomes "hot". The way this was accomplished was finding a wire on the ignition that was hot only when the key was in the on postion, and splicing another wire into that. This happened to be a brown/pink wire. From there I ran the new wire to the safety switch, and from the safety switch to one terminal on the push button. Now go back to the ignition harness and find the White/Pink wire. That was the only wire on the entire harness that I found became hot only when the key was turned to the start postion.... Double checking that against the Chilton's, i am believing that that is the correct one. Since I did not want to use the key any more to start the car, I cut the wire with enough room that if I wanted to return it to stock I could using butt connectors....I ran a new wire going from the push button to the white/pink wire.
6. Since the car is still in the middle of a transmission swap this is all based off of me testing with the ground on the started unplugged. To test if the new setup worked or not I hooked the battery back up, turned the key to the on postion and had a friend under the car with a continuity tester. I then tried to start the car with the key and no light on the tester....Good.....Next tried the push button start, and voila....the light on the tester came on....To double check, I turned off the saftey switch, and pushed the button....no light....turned the switch back on and....light....So I am fairly confident that the push button will work.

Hope this helps guys....

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
As soon as you get pictures, make sure you put this in the How-To section. :thumb:

Awesome write up.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the looks of that S2000 switch. I'm not the best wire guy in the world but this looks like something I could do. Would the S2000 button fit where the power source is in the center console behind the shifter on a 95? Or even where the cigarette lighter goes? I'd like for it to be hidden since I can't lock my car right now and itd be a nice antitheft thingy.

OP
OP
C

cntchds

Reaction score
Just wanted to see the mounting location. Unless you wanted to take it all apart to show the wires. I do understand the process though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nike04life

Members online