Engine Swap Question

Hill x 21

Reaction score
I posted this in my build thread and didn't get any responses. The swap would be taking out the 302 EFI in my '65 and dropping in a 99/01 4V. Wondering if I can get any bites over here;

On a side note, rode up to a buddy's shop that does Mustangs and asked about 4v swapping and his thoughts. Turns out he's got an 80s Lincoln motor and a 99/01 Cobra he's having title issues with. Was told $300 for the Lincoln motor, and $3k for the Cobra motor with trans, all harnesses and ECU. I leaned towards the Cobra motor until he said install could run up to $5k alone. I think $8k is a bit of money to drop in a stock motor when 347 strokers go for about $4k. I know that there can be issues with the trans tunnel but $8k? Plus the fuel system would need to be redone I'd think. I'm not looking to "purpose dedicate" this car, but I do want a little power behind the pedal.

I think the price of the motor/trans package is good compared to eBay. I haven't called any local yards looking but I know 2V GTs are hard enough to find, let alone Cobras. I've already got a Mustang II front end with shaved strut towers, so it would basically be down to notching the K and swapping pedal assembly to stick (car is auto now, wanted to stay that way but you have to mod the tunnel for a 4R/5R to fit and need a bell housing adapter and stand alone computer for AOD). After looking into the fuel side, it would just need to go from return to returnless, maybe a larger pump too (have a 255 Edelbrock now).

Essentially I'm hung up on the labor. Nothing is set in stone but that's the ball park figure I was given. Just wondering what you guys thought!

fran5o

Reaction score
I just don't think that a na 4v cobra motor would be worth it power wise. If you boosted it, then different story. Without boost, particularly positive displacement, 4v's are gutless below 3000 rpms, add in the auto trans for even more disappointment.
Personally I would stick with a pushrod set up, you can make some good power with the kind of money your talking about.
Just my opinion.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Push rod can produce real good results, after the purchase of $2000 heads were as a cobra would not need, but the 4v injection set up would equal out the cost. The real beauty is the pushrod could be easier and able to sound like muscle. Id focus on a push rod! My choice build in particular? , a 351 block with a 302crank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online