Engine swap questions

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
I'm new to the mustang mod motors and I have read different engines will work and others won't. So to save some time and headache I will ask the question.
I have a 96 mustang GT and I am looking at replacing the motor it is very worn and leaking oil. I've decided to just replace the old motor the motor that is in it is a Romeo motor. I am told to get the best bang for my buck is to find a 2001 and up mustang motor. I was also told that I could get a 2001 and up crown vic motor or even look for a 2003 Explorer motor. I was told the Explorer motor is aluminum and its about 85lbs lighter.
I have spent the last two weeks looking at different forums and reading on the internet about these different motors. Some say the mustang motor will fit but there is issues with it and other say the same about the other motors. So which is the best motor to get. I am aware that I may need to swap some parts off my old motor or may even have to purchase other parts. I looked into the 2001 mustang motor but then I was informed that I would have to change out the timing cover and do other things. Is there a motor that I could just put directly in with little to no issues.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A direct swap is another 96 mustang 4.6l.

Do yourself a favor and source out a 2005-up 4.6l 2v. Econoline vans and crownvics carried them and be 100% sure you hear the engine run! These are revised 8thread sparkplug threaded heads were as the 99-2004 heads had major issues of sparkplugs blowing out cause of only 4threads.

Big deal if some parts have to swap over, you can do this...no problems! Basic tools with a little know how are all youll need.....no sweat! We will be here to answer your questions.

OP
OP
D

Dwhitzdad

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that issue. I will look for those to motors. Thank you again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online