Exhaust mufflers

grimreaper_72

Reaction score
I have a 1996 gt with 4.6 with long tube headers no cats and o/r pipe what would you recommend for a good deep sounding muffler but not to loud I am planning on dumping before axles, thanks

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stock mufflers cut off would be my pick. Try that first! If youre ok with the drone from it and want more, Borla's offer a low resonance upgraded sound. If you want more, do Flowmaster Hushpowers, then Flowmaster 40's.
I have catless cherry bomb turbo mufflers through the tails and loved it! Was good and quiet idle/driving and had a very different growl higher rpm. They didnt last long though. The 5.4l blew them apart...lol

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1996 gt with 4.6 with long tube headers no cats and o/r pipe what would you recommend for a good deep sounding muffler but not to loud I am planning on dumping before axles, thanks

There is no such thing as a "good deep sounding muffler" if you are dumping them. Dumps will always sound horribly loud, especially with long tubes and off road X.
I would recommend some type of flowmaster. That would be pretty tame. 40s or 60s.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Flowmasters sound like tincans and drone bad inside. Imo... From experience. And I agree, dumps are horrible. Will be annoying, and makes the exhaust too bassy.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
If you cannot live without the no tailpipe look have the exhaust at least exit behind the exe.. like this pick but with the tips facing towards the rear more not the ground..

rickscamaro4_zpsntstt6o0.jpg

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I run Dynomax/Walker Super Turbos. They have a pretty unique-ish low sound to them. I like it.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Mac flowpaths for sure

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I run Dynomax/Walker Super Turbos. They have a pretty unique-ish low sound to them. I like it.
Im glad you stated this. Ive been wanting to switch out the flowmaster knockoffs ive got now and go back to the quiet rumble. Dynomax have caught my eye! Thankyou

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Im glad you stated this. Ive been wanting to switch out the flowmaster knockoffs ive got now and go back to the quiet rumble. Dynomax have caught my eye! Thankyou

Sure thing! I didn't want something super loud - the car will already draw attention to itself. Plus it's slow. So loud exhaust made me felt like I was posing, if you know what I mean. The Dynomax's actually sound really nice, they let a little more of the engine noise through. At one Auto-X I got a couple compliments on the sound - it was purposeful without being obnoxious.

Here's a vid of me at a Auto-X (I say Auto-X, it was set up like a mini time-attack); the GoPro is on the front of the car where the pony is supposed to be but you can still hear the exhaust a little (note the increase in noise at the very beginning is the rad fan).

[video=youtube;qqk8TBw3zyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqk8TBw3zyM[/video]

I'm going to be putting on longtubes so it will change a little.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Borla XR1 catback and it is pretty tame when normal driving. Sometimes I think it is too quiet but it does have an amazing sound, deep not like the Borla Stingers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online