Explorer intake swap question

StangerBanger

Reaction score
im getting ready to put a 97 explorer upper/ lower intake set with a little bit of port work on my 5.0, i was wondering if the upper plenum bolts from my mustang are long enough to work with the explorer plenum? ive heard that the explorer bolts may be longer, and i cannot seem to find them online anywhere.. any advice? thanks

Dugzy33

Reaction score
im getting ready to put a 97 explorer upper/ lower intake set with a little bit of port work on my 5.0, i was wondering if the upper plenum bolts from my mustang are long enough to work with the explorer plenum? ive heard that the explorer bolts may be longer, and i cannot seem to find them online anywhere.. any advice? thanks

I believe they are longer than the stock 94-95 intake bolts.

I just did this swap a few months ago and I used the upper intake to lower intake bolts I got from the explorer.

You don't have those?

I would call my local ford parts store and get the specs on the bolts.
they may not have the bolts but they can tell you the size so you can buy them from napa or something.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I resolved this issue by using 5/16" all thread cut to length, threaded into the lower intake like studs..

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
IMG00120.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
IMG00128.jpg

i didn't have the top plate so I want worried about how it looked. You could always make a stud, measure it and call up Fastenal or Home Depot for the correct length bolts.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also make it a little easier and just add a phenolic spacer since it can be hard to get just the bolt kit. Its often needed anyway to make space for upgraded heads below it and it comes with the bolt kit. I actually have a spacer and the bolt kit it came with still unused. I only replaced it because I wanted I to be back instead of the red it was and I too ordered hardened threaded rod to make studs. If you want I have the red spacer and the unused bolts. It is also supposed to help reduce the heat soak in the upper intake by separating it from the metal/metal contact with the lower.

Dugzy33

Reaction score
you can also make it a little easier and just add a phenolic spacer since it can be hard to get just the bolt kit. Its often needed anyway to make space for upgraded heads below it and it comes with the bolt kit. I actually have a spacer and the bolt kit it came with still unused. I only replaced it because I wanted I to be back instead of the red it was and I too ordered hardened threaded rod to make studs. If you want I have the red spacer and the unused bolts. It is also supposed to help reduce the heat soak in the upper intake by separating it from the metal/metal contact with the lower.

FYI

Not all Cars seem to be the same, but my gt40 intake swap was done without spacer and the upper intake pokes into the hood insulation right at the highest upper intake bolt. just enough to smash the insulation and that is it.
Anymore and it would damage the hood

So what does this mean?

Spacer may cause issues. Some people say they don't have issues and some do, I would so I didn't use one.

If you use the shade-tree mechanic way with all thread then make sure the rod isn't too long and pokes into your hood.

Just my opinion.
Doug

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
depends on what size spacer you use. I used a 3/8" and it cleared the headers/strut tower and the fire blanket. 1/2" and bigger I think is where you run into issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online