F150 fog lights

Reaction score
I have an 03 f150 xlt it does not have fog lights or the harness, my mother in laws 97 has the wiring I know where to look and I've looked further on mine, however the pig tail in the dash at the switch does have the wires, just can't find them elsewhere (or at least I think they're in there, ) I bought a factory switch and have run a wire from the switch area to the new pig tails in the new bumper, I tested a wiring diagram based on reading several online. I have modified my switch to be pulled at parking lights, when I got out to the front it didn't work, so I unhooked the new stuff, can someone direct me on what to do now, right now I have an un landed red going from where the switch is, to one side of the fixtures and the other wire on each fixture landing at the frame. (Red is currently disconnected for... so I don't burn my truck to the ground) thanks in advance

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is often an additional relay that needs to go in the fuse box to actually power the lights.

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that would be an issue if I found the actual wire after it left the switch and hits something inside of the driver kick panel, I'm pretty sure it doesn't come out, I could be wrong, but is there a good way to run my own. And fuse it, but have it operated by the factory fog switch. every post I read they had the wires already or they went an entirely different rout I'd rather not do, I want it to look and function like factory (except I want then to be able to be on with just running lights, which is why I modified the switch)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all you would need to do is figure out what wire goes hot with the switch on, and then wire in your own relay. If you look on the bottom of the relay next to each pin is a number designating what each pin is. connect pin 85 to ground and then 86 to the wire that shows 12v from the switch. At that point if you turn on the switch you should hear the relay click on/off. Next connect pin 87 to a +12v constant source, and then 30 goes to power your lights.

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
all you would need to do is figure out what wire goes hot with the switch on, and then wire in your own relay. If you look on the bottom of the relay next to each pin is a number designating what each pin is. connect pin 85 to ground and then 86 to the wire that shows 12v from the switch. At that point if you turn on the switch you should hear the relay click on/off. Next connect pin 87 to a +12v constant source, and then 30 goes to power your lights.
With that I'd like to add the relay onto the fuse box under the hood preferably where it's supposed to be, but there aren't any connectors in that spot. I do however have an open spot of the Same size for the trailer relay, but that seems like it's gonna be trouble.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
With that I'd like to add the relay onto the fuse box under the hood preferably where it's supposed to be, but there aren't any connectors in that spot. I do however have an open spot of the Same size for the trailer relay, but that seems like it's gonna be trouble.
it will be. I can't help ya there personally I would get a fog light relay harness and find a happy spot to tie the relay up. They do not fail all that often though

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
it will be. I can't help ya there personally I would get a fog light relay harness and find a happy spot to tie the relay up. They do not fail all that often "they do not fail that often" is very not reassuring. I'm actually "slowly" in the process of pulling a harness from another truck, including the fuse box from under the hood (cause I broke several clips on mine trying to get a look at the bottom so I could see what it would take to add the wires so it would look as factory as possible) but it's in a field and it's rained here every day since I got off work Thursday, and because I can't think of everything, I didn't bring one socket I ended up needing. So I gotta go back a 3rd time

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by not very often I mean I have quite possibly installed thousands of relays to do anything from turn amps on to remote start ignitions and I have had one bad relay come back to me in all those years.

OP
OP
Knightstallion
Reaction score
by not very often I mean I have quite possibly installed thousands of relays to do anything from turn amps on to remote start ignitions and I have had one bad relay come back to me in all those years.
Ok, the way it sounded in my head when I read it sounded like some sarcastically phrased stuff I would say after having something break repeatedly, but like I said I'm going to get that other harness and if nothing else see how to add and remove wires from it, and with proper diagrams I'll be able to have my switch look and operate as it would if it were factory (except for the foglight switch being able to be pulled from the 1st (running light) position

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online