Factory keyless entry

sinister_svt

Reaction score
I have a 94 cobra w/o factory keyless entry. I can get the wiring harness and module from a 95 GT. I was wondering if it is a plug and play before I even start on it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would actually be suprised that a cobra didn't already have the unit and you just need a remote but otherwise the wiring is there all you need is the module and the remotes.

It would be easier and probably not cost too much more to get a new keyless entry installed unless you want it original.

OP
OP
S

sinister_svt

Reaction score
Yeah No it didn't have it from the factory. it or the mach sound system. I've pulled the panel to make sure it didn't have the module or wiring.I would like to put a factory unit in it.I call it a strip down version Cobra it has tan cloth seat also factory..

ademily87

Reaction score
Yeah No it didn't have it from the factory. it or the mach sound system. I've pulled the panel to make sure it didn't have the module or wiring.I would like to put a factory unit in it.I call it a strip down version Cobra it has tan cloth seat also factory..

Are you sure its a cobra? Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never heard of the wiring not being there. Are you looking in the quarter panel inside or the trunk?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
My 95 GT.. no wiring either for it.
1z5sznp.jpg

I believe the wiring only came in the 96+ even if it the system wasn't installed in the car. In the 94-95 it seems if you dont have it... you dont have the wiring also

Blind

Reaction score
My 97 does not have the wiring for the keyless. I added a viper 350 2-way paging alarm instead.

Typos from my iPhone using Tapatalk while po0ping.

OP
OP
S

sinister_svt

Reaction score
I have never heard of the wiring not being there. Are you looking in the quarter panel inside or the trunk?

on the driverside trunk by the fuel safety shut off switch behind the panel that's were its at on my 95 GT and all the SN95 I've looked at

Mustanger

Reaction score
Many SN95's did not come with the keyless entry & most of those did not have any wiring for it either! Thus necessitating installing a new wiring harness for it....something I do not want to do...so I am following the above advice & getting a Viper Alarm with remote keyless entry. Thye best & easiest path I think.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you don't want the full alarm you can get just a keyless but if your gonna do it, get the 2-way option. It ups the price but its worth it. Also ask the place installing it how they make their connections. Crimp is acceptable, solder is prefered and T-taps are a no-no.

JLG21611

Reaction score
I found my wiring for it back there along with a square looking bracket that looks like that's where the keyless box is supposed to be??

OP
OP
S

sinister_svt

Reaction score
I don't have the wiring for it or the bracket back there but I can get it from a donor car. But is it as simple as changing the harness from by the fuse box to the rear of the car or do I have to change any under the dash or to the doors. I would like to use the factory set up if I can.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I found my wiring for it back there along with a square looking bracket that looks like that's where the keyless box is supposed to be??

Yes thats it the module slid under that handle lookin thing.

I really have no idea what would be needed to wire up the stock system. The 5-wire system that controls the locks is not a system that you can just tap two wires and it works. Because there are no relays and the switches do all the work relays normally would you need to put relays in series in the circuit, even facing the right direction or you will blow the switch out if the fuse doesn't go. I installed audio security on/off for 15 yrs and I don't even know a person to direct you too because none of us did anything to the stock systems, only aftermarket.

I can probably find you a pro that could do a full remote start/keyless in a couple of hours but that isn't stock.

It would probably be easier to figure out a way to put a new remote in the old remote case to keep it stock looking then to try and figure the stock keyless out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the dealer add-ons for that year were just a rebadged code alarm piece. If you were to find one of those the remotes internals should fit in the mustangs remote.

Mario

Reaction score
I successfully added factory keyless entry w/anti-theft and the Mach 460 sound system to my friend's 94 GT. I got the wiring harness off of a 95 V6 in the junkyard to add the keyless entry. I started unplugging the wires inside the trunk behind the tail lights and followed all of the wires, unplugging them as I went along. I also had to get the door wiring harnesses off of the Mustang in the junkyard along with a switch that twisted into place on the door latch inside both doors. Despite what I've read, the door harnesses on the Mustangs with factory keyless entry are not the same as the ones that do not have it. Although it was a very tedious process, it was relatively simple. The most difficult part was removing the parts of the harness that went through the firewall. It required removing the windshield wipers and cowl, removing the front left wheel, and fender splash shield. I searched around for the factory anti-theft module from a Mustang and I simply could not find one. I did some searching around online and found that the 1993-1995 Lincoln Mark VIII have an anti-theft module that was nearly identical to the ones designed for the Mustang. I pulled the anti-theft module from a 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII, removed the bracket, and it plugged right into the Mustang's harness. Surprisingly, it worked perfectly. The "THEFT" light on the gauge cluster now illuminates.

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I wanted to add that sometimes these cars would not have the harness w/the mount bracket, even if it is a cobra.
It was kinda random, fortunately, I have the harness already in my GT, just gotta grab the module and go!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to add that I was installing keyless entries into cars 10+ yrs ago for only $79 installed. Don't pay too much for the module/remotes as its easy enough to have one put in that isn't almost 20 yrs old now...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online