First Autocross event.

Reaction score
Well i went for the first time today.It was a absolute blast!My first run was 76.370 and best was 67.405.
The mustang worked well ,i know i need more seat time to improve.Cant wait for the next event.
hy7uhana.jpg

suse2a7u.jpg

wmfateam

Reaction score
Sweet deal. It gets addicting when you have someone you want to beat. What do you have done to it?

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
I put subframe connecters and aluminum radiator on it.Everything else was previous owner,lowering springs,exhaust and CAI intake is all really.Im sure I'm outclassed and will never win but I'm having fun with it.Any suggestions for next mods ??
Im thinking 3.73 gears and maybe a cage to stiffen the chassis,maybe the Steeda bump steer kit?Or camber plates?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Negative camber is your friend. I run 2.5 degrees of it and it helps with the turn in, as well as a little toe in. If you have the ability to have a second set of rims and dedicated track tires, that will help. When I got my rear coil over kit and 225 springs, rear rotation became amazing. MadStang or iRoush has some good ways of doing business. Search him or he should chime in hear. I am outclassed as well, street mod, but have fun with a focus st and an M3.
And yes, gears should help the power band be more useful.

RichV

Reaction score
Tires. Oh and Tires. Tires. Tires. Get the drift? :)

If you have a good set of weld-in SFCs, then address suspension. What do you have now for springs/shocks? Not just xx drop, brand and models? Bushings and rear UCA and LCA?

Also get some good brake pads, bleed all corners if you have not yet. Valvoline Syntec DOT 3/4 brake fluid at minimum.

ba#97

Reaction score
Do NOT put a cage in it if you want to keep it in esp. Figure out the class you want before you make mods. Cage isn't really necessary for autox honestly. It doesn't help that much in the grand scheme of things. If you continue in esp then you'll need to look into whether or not coilovers are legal on out cars. Panhard bar and a revamped rear suspension setup for sure. Brake pads aren't as necessary as on open track. Just need a slightly more aggressive one is all.

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
Right now it has Touring Tech springs and shocks.Im not familiar with it but I assume its not ideal.Everything else stock.
Im going to do some more research and figure out what class to run.I want to keep a fairly low budget if I can.

aces ST

Reaction score
Very nice. I would love to try this. If you could send me some info about it maybe we could mob down there and you can enjoy my noob come destruction.

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
Very nice. I would love to try this. If you could send me some info about it maybe we could mob down there and you can enjoy my noob come destruction.
Yeah for sure check out the local San Diego scca solo site for the schedual.Im going to try to make the next event,but I'm getting knee surgery soon so not sure....

ba#97

Reaction score
well do you want to be competitive in a class or just continue to have fun? cuz if you want to have fun...screw it just have fun with whatever mods you'd like. sadly if you want to be competive in a class your options are, spend lots of money to be ESP or SM competitive or.....sell your car and buy something more worthy of autox. cuz well as much as all of us love our sn's.....these things are turds. other than the few guys that have made them very good for autox...i.e. madstang, our cars aren't a very good candidate for autox. the only low budget class I can think of is to go back to stock class but that would require you going back to stock springs etc etc. I'm not sure what street class our cars are best in. I just know of esp and sm. ultimately I just said screw it and had fun, got seat time and just enjoyed it. our cars are fun. so go enjoy it.

ba#97

Reaction score
sounds like a plan. I do know it is possible to make our cars fast for autox in the classes we fit in but it takes some $$$ (as does all motorsports of course) and of course the nut behind the wheel helps a lot too. so just hone your skills until you know what you want to go with.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I miss my autocrossing days. I really need to get the 95 pulled out of the weeds and start building it up again. It had all the typical Mustang street mods and was by no means a built car and the mods had it thrown in CP, but I had a blast with it. Can't wait to get this red car finished up to go play with it too. It's hard to be competitive without throwing a lot of money in it but it's real easy to have fun with.

RichV

Reaction score
The OEM suspension is actually not bad with some small tweaks, LCAs, bushings, and good shocks/springs. It's the chassis that needs help more than anything. Not sure how auto-x classes work, but in NASA those mods won't bump you to a uncompetitive class in TT/PT. So you could do very minimal and stay somewhat competitive, but the second someone builds to the limit of the class you're screwed. But that holds in anything competitive.

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
We'll my next mod is the FTR gt500 brake upgrade so I'm sure that will bounce me into the worst class possible!F-it just gonna have fun with it.
After that I'm thinking bushings and 3.73 gears.My car is pretty beat I think the bushing replacement would do wonders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online