First Autocross event.

ba#97

Reaction score
We'll my next mod is the FTR gt500 brake upgrade so I'm sure that will bounce me into the worst class possible!F-it just gonna have fun with it.
After that I'm thinking bushings and 3.73 gears.My car is pretty beat I think the bushing replacement would do wonders.

don't do the big brake kit first. start out with mild suspension parts etc etc and updating worn out parts. autox isn't quite as hard on brakes as it is to take it out to the full course so big brakes aren't necessary at your level at least. just focus on updating suspension and getting better at driving, the main thing is picking a class. but I can say from experience that you really don't need huge brakes especially at the level your car is at now.

ba#97

Reaction score
The OEM suspension is actually not bad with some small tweaks, LCAs, bushings, and good shocks/springs. It's the chassis that needs help more than anything. Not sure how auto-x classes work, but in NASA those mods won't bump you to a uncompetitive class in TT/PT. So you could do very minimal and stay somewhat competitive, but the second someone builds to the limit of the class you're screwed. But that holds in anything competitive.

sadly, in autox the 2 classes I know our cars can fit into competively when they are modded are E street Prepared or Street mod, and those are big buck classes. madstang runs in SM and as you can see, his car is quite extensively built.

Rogera13

Reaction score
Great post! My son and I have just started autox here in Central Florida. I noticed the event pics....The older mustangs were all in the class you should go for. CAM (Classic American Muscle) Very, very few restrictions and it keep you competing against other muscle cars not a bunch of miatas and stuff. Read up on the class....VERY VERY few restrictions. Engine, suspension or other. Basicly stay over 3000lbs and have an interior to fit 2. Nitrous bottle must be removed to compete...that's about it!

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I would modify the car to how you want it, and just have fun in whatever class that puts you in. Don't build for a specific class. You will have fun no matter what class you are in, so you might as well upgrade your car how you want it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great post! My son and I have just started autox here in Central Florida. I noticed the event pics....The older mustangs were all in the class you should go for. CAM (Classic American Muscle) Very, very few restrictions and it keep you competing against other muscle cars not a bunch of miatas and stuff. Read up on the class....VERY VERY few restrictions. Engine, suspension or other. Basicly stay over 3000lbs and have an interior to fit 2. Nitrous bottle must be removed to compete...that's about it!

If you don't mind me asking, where in Central Florida? SCCA Auto-X? I am located in Central Florida as well and am looking for Auto-X events.

OP, if you don't care about classes, then just mod away. However, I suggest that you care about classes. The main reason is to try to keep the field competitive. Auto-X is a lot of fun, it's even more fun if you have a shot at being competitive in your class. Trust me. Knowing that you have a shot at wining (or at least doing well) vs. knowing you have no shot what-so-ever makes for two very different experiences. Both fun, for sure. But also both very different.

Don't do the brake kit yet. Start with the tires, and get the absolute best that you can. If you want them to be DOT-legal, then get the best sticky DOT-legal ones you can that you still don't mind driving on the street. If you are okay with a second set of wheels/tires, then get R-compounds up to your points allowance (if you are classed by points). Then get better brake pads. Then drive the car, see where you have issues, and then address from there. I think you'll find that starting with the tires and then working your way up the suspension (tires, then pads, bigger brakes if necessary, then bushings, shocks/springs, etc.) is a pretty good approach.

If you don't care about points and just want to have fun, then do whatever mods you feel like. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online