Fixing your SURGING IDLE!!! IN HERE!!!

NYC94GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
I might just go home and host up the video of my 331 stroker with a 185 heads, cam, intake, 75mm throttle body, 30lb injectors, and 80mm maf....at IDLE WITH NO TUNE.

Thanks for your doubts. Sorry it didn't work on your car. It doesn't always work for everyone for one reason or another. The cars ARE touchy but the methods described above DO WORK. As for adjustments....there are plenty. You already have an idle screw and the TPS doesn't take much movement to adjust it but you can always elongate the holes.

Oh, and why would you need swap injectors just to go to a fox ecu?

I'm not trying to pick you apart here but you're spreading fraudulent information.
I understand what you are saying, however I can say that I've heard this both from the mouths of Jimmy LaRocca and Job Spetter of Turbo People. Both guys are well known with the Mustang crowd. The fact is the sn95 EEC-IV is VERY suspect when mods are introduced. They run hot to begin with in stock form to help with emissions. I had overheating problems and most 94-95 owners had the same problems, but like you there are a few who do not experience the same issues. Call it luck on your part, but I guess it's like hairloss some have it some don't. To say I'm a fraud, I take offense to that and don't appreciate it. :lame:

NYC94GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
I might just go home and host up the video of my 331 stroker with a 185 heads, cam, intake, 75mm throttle body, 30lb injectors, and 80mm maf....at IDLE WITH NO TUNE.

Thanks for your doubts. Sorry it didn't work on your car. It doesn't always work for everyone for one reason or another. The cars ARE touchy but the methods described above DO WORK. As for adjustments....there are plenty. You already have an idle screw and the TPS doesn't take much movement to adjust it but you can always elongate the holes.

Oh, and why would you need swap injectors just to go to a fox ecu?

I'm not trying to pick you apart here but you're spreading fraudulent information.
"Oh, and why would you need swap injectors just to go to a fox ecu?" If you read my post, I said Cobra ECU which run 24# Inj's.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Got ya...but it doesn't have to be a cobra ecu either. For the people wanting to go that route and not run 24lb injectors, you can get an A9L and its CHEAPER.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
Got ya...but it doesn't have to be a cobra ecu either. For the people wanting to go that route and not run 24lb injectors, you can get an A9L and its CHEAPER.
No, you didn't GET anybody. I do agree with you, you CAN run a A9L on that. My whole point is the better way to fix the idle/surge problems when mods are introduced is to chip the EEC on the SN-95 cars. If drilling out the TPS bolt holes, fiddling with the IAC, while drilling a 1/8" hole in the throttle plate would have FIXED the issues on my 94 I wouldn't have spent the some $550 at LaRocca's Performance dyno-tuning the damn thing. Not to mention all the research hours spent on the Corral, Fordvs.Chevy, and sn95 forums looking for such quick fixes. Maybe there are SOME cars this works on, but to me, it's throwing a bandaid on the problem. By tuning the car custom with a chip that's burnt via a dyno and laptop by a knowledgeable tuner has these little tricks by the balls hands down.
I'm not in competition with you, Mr. Moderator. I respect your knowledge. All I wanted to do was come on and share some knowedge too. But it seems I may have struck a cord... :dunno:

ripper

Reaction score
NYC94GT Jimmy Larocca tuned my non pi motor. It surged so bad it was hard to shift. Ended up blowin up at Englishtown from being too lean. If you dont believe me i can show you a pic of the chip out of the motor with Larocca on it. If you want a real tuner go see Dwayne at Outragous Mustangs or Kevin at Wicked Motorsports. PM me for pn's. Kevin spent 10 mins on my car and the surge on my new motor was gone. Im not tryng to bash anyone at all. In the day i guess Laroccas was the place to go. But now they need to catch up with the times.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Stevo said:
NYC94GT Jimmy Larocca tuned my non pi motor. It surged so bad it was hard to shift. Ended up blowin up at Englishtown from being too lean. If you dont believe me i can show you a pic of the chip out of the motor with Larocca on it. If you want a real tuner go see Dwayne at Outragous Mustangs or Kevin at Wicked Motorsports. PM me for pn's. Kevin spent 10 mins on my car and the surge on my new motor was gone. Im not tryng to bash anyone at all. In the day i guess Laroccas was the place to go. But now they need to catch up with the times.
I appreicate it. He tuned my car a while ago, probably some 5 or so years when I used to be deep into the tuner game and BEFORE I got married! :hammer: At first I didn't tell Jimmy I had idle issues so he never made the adjustment in the chip for idle a/f settings. I went back and he re-flashed it which fixed the problem. Not knocking him or you, maybe you just had a bad tune from him because I heard soo many good things about his abilities. I was told similar stuff about Joe at Mustang Magic in L.I. but I had some work done there with no issues (altho he did replace the center bearing when he replaced the clutch w/o asking first and charged me... :dunno: )
Thanks tho.... Please pass along the info. :dancing6:

ripper

Reaction score
I know what you mean im married 27yrs :hammer: Lot more important things on yer mind then gettin the car tuned. Glad you didnt take that wrong i wasnt trying to be a jackass.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
No chord struck. I just disagree. I think that BEFORE you take a car in to GET it tuned it should be in a somewhat driveable condition. Its saves the tuner time and YOU money. It makes his job that much easier. Adjusting TPS voltage, IAC, and the idle screw isn't a band aid fix...its TUNING! You don't have to use a chip and computer for everything.

ripper

Reaction score
I still havent had mine dyno tuned. I adjusted the IAC, idle screw, and TPS like youve said and it runs great. Im not gonna take it to WOT till i get the dyno tune. The tuner will also be able to spend more time fine tuning it were i will get a better tune. I just dont trust my old tuner anymore. I have found a new guy and am waiting for an appt.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Stevo said:
I know what you mean im married 27yrs :hammer: Lot more important things on yer mind then gettin the car tuned. Glad you didnt take that wrong i wasnt trying to be a jackass.
Hahaha... No sweat man. I appreciate the information. :drunk:

NYC94GT

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
No chord struck. I just disagree. I think that BEFORE you take a car in to GET it tuned it should be in a somewhat driveable condition. Its saves the tuner time and YOU money. It makes his job that much easier. Adjusting TPS voltage, IAC, and the idle screw isn't a band aid fix...its TUNING! You don't have to use a chip and computer for everything.
The car was drivable. Hell, I drove it to NJ to get it tuned! It just would lope whenever the car was shut off, then restarted a few seconds later. You can disagree with me all you want and vice versa. That's ok, I don't claim to know everything Mustang. What pissed me off was you saying I'm passing along fraudulant information. Yes, some of this tricks work on some cars, some don't on others. Like mine. In my eyes, these are tricking the computer, bandaids if you will, where is a tune fixes the problem. If it works for you sobeit. But why not have your car dyno-tuned? With your setup you could probably safely get another 50 or so HP out of that thing, and 50hp for say $600 bucks is money well spent.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
NYC94GT said:
ryclef331 said:
The car was drivable. Hell, I drove it to NJ to get it tuned! It just would lope whenever the car was shut off, then restarted a few seconds later. You can disagree with me all you want and vice versa. That's ok, I don't claim to know everything Mustang. What pissed me off was you saying I'm passing along fraudulant information. Yes, some of this tricks work on some cars, some don't on others. Like mine. In my eyes, these are tricking the computer, bandaids if you will, where is a tune fixes the problem. If it works for you sobeit. But why not have your car dyno-tuned? With your setup you could probably safely get another 50 or so HP out of that thing, and 50hp for say $600 bucks is money well spent.

I never said that I don't reccomend getting a dyno tune but for a bolt on car that has idle surge problems....getting a dyno tune with just an intake or a mild cam only car, the HP gains are negligible at best. Don't think for a second I am dumb enough to put a built 331 in my car and NOT take it to a dyno to get tuned...but guess what, before I did that, I made sure it would idle and drive TO the place first.

Eric_94cobra

Reaction score
I've dealt with the surge on two different supercharged 94 cobras. My current car has a custum SCT chip and the idle is set at 1000rpm to keep it from surging (with the stock cam). I believe a different computer or an anderson ford PMS ($$$) is the only things that will solve the problem for sure (without jacking up the idle like I did).

vbr pete

Reaction score
hi

i just bought a 94 GT thats totally stock.got plans to put in a 306 with b cam,edelbrock perf heads etc....after reading all this i think it'll stay STOCK AS A ROCK

i'll just pimp my fairmont instead and just enjoy the 94 as it is

95BEASTstang

Reaction score
Man i hope this works,if not i have a vacuum leak somewhere.I just need to get this fixed,thanks for all the info...

It worked ,what a difference....THANKS

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well, my sister called, and our family mustang has started to act up on her. Today after school I'm headin out there and I'm gonna perform the idle and TPS adjustments. I have already cleaned the crap out of the IAC and the TB. Hopefully these will help us out!

maybe even get a bit more pep out of it setting that TPS properly.

Will reply with results...

stangfreak GTS

Reaction score
i'm glad i stumbled acrossed this thread. this is my first sn95 out of a long list of previous mustangs and i have always heared horror storys about the surging problems. now when i have that problem i'll know how to resolve it. thanks!

GaryG

Reaction score
stangfreak GTS said:
i'm glad i stumbled acrossed this thread. this is my first sn95 out of a long list of previous mustangs and i have always heared horror storys about the surging problems. now when i have that problem i'll know how to resolve it. thanks!

see, arent u glad i sent u here from myspace? haha j/p..ill go back to my 4.6 section..lol

topless95

Reaction score
I just finished fixing the idle on my 95 and it idles great now. I did have one major problem, and that was I forgot to have the key in the on position to check the tps voltage.. I was getting pissed and 10 minutes later a light bulb went off in my head saying "turn the ignition key on" man I felt sooooooooo stupid. But two beers later and new gaskets it purrs like a tiger thats pissed off (ohhh it sounds good)... I am so glad that this stick topic is here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online