Fixing your SURGING IDLE!!! IN HERE!!!

topless95

Reaction score
I almost forgot to mention that after doing this, my rpm's don't take forever to drop drown when shifting. When I would push the clutch in, the rpm's would go up 200-400rpm's and that was with my foot off of the accelerator. I love this site, it is soooooo helpful for a first time Ford owner.

95 svt cobra

Reaction score
hey i cleaned my IAC and boy was that biotch nasty. 13 years of gunk. my car idles alot better to, on cold starts it idles low, around 500 then once its running a bit it goes to normal idle rpm. SOOO much better than that wretched surging :TY:

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I cleaned my IAC and throttle body and it worked!

yay rah, no more surging. Getting that IAC off while leaving everything else in the car was a beotch though. I miss my giant engine compartment in my Bronco already... :crying:

Oh well, at least this thing gets better than 14mpg!

Thanks for the info!

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
No mention of the throttle bypass screw?

Quote from the Corral.

"You are not supposed to move the throttle set screw, it monkeys up the TPS voltage. The 94-95 TB's have a separate idle air bypass screw to set minimum idle rate. It requires a small allen wrench to set it. The screw is located under a rubber plug towards the front top side of the TB, near the IAC."

bbk1523.jpg
Use that to adjust idle before anything else. If it still surges THEN do the procedure that RyClef linked to.

rgs

Reaction score
k here's one for ya...

car idled fine, but had drivability issues. like hesitation in low rpm and stuff.

so i took off the c&l maf i had on my cold air, and replaced it with a bbk cold air and the stock maf. now the car has 0 dravability issues, but it wont idle at all for me! all it does now is surge and die.

i've cleaned ALL the sensors, and have recently replaced the tps and iac

any ideas!?!?

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
rgs said:
k here's one for ya...

car idled fine, but had drivability issues. like hesitation in low rpm and stuff.

so i took off the c&l maf i had on my cold air, and replaced it with a bbk cold air and the stock maf. now the car has 0 dravability issues, but it wont idle at all for me! all it does now is surge and die.

i've cleaned ALL the sensors, and have recently replaced the tps and iac

any ideas!?!?

Try clocking the maf in 1/8 or 1/4 turn in crements. A maf generally needs about 12" of STRAIGHT PIPE in front of it to read accurately with the stocker. I assume that this CAI you have, doesn't do that.

rgs

Reaction score
you assume correctly ryclef, the maf bolts to the inlet tube, aka no adjustability lol

jc95gt

Reaction score
Okay i have a 1995 mustang GT, it is STOCK except for full bassani exhaust...my car doesnt have an idle surging problem but shuts off randomly while im driving it...most of the time this happens while im low in first gear going around a corner...and it also happens quite often while im just cruising in 4th gear...this is a huge problem and very scary when it happens (no power steering or brakes)
need help

thanks

Sinned83

Reaction score
my 94 gt is pretty stock flowmaster exhaust and added a bbk o/r h pipe today. The idle had previously surged since I picked it up from the local exhaust shop it hasn't happened. Ill keep my fingers crossed. Any ideas? :dontknow:

Brackemyre1

Reaction score
how about if the idle is fine when sitting still, but everytime im driving, i go to shift, push the clutch in and the idle surges about 500-600rpm and i have a brand new IAC and the MAF is clean, what else could cause that?

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Dood, i need to go do this.... see if it works. my car is chipped too, and randomly dies and surges, makes me mad.... lol

kennebellgt

Reaction score
Wow guys! This is funny well not really but it is because we all have the same problems, I have a 95gt also and i have the same problems, when i start the car cold it wont idle at all it just shuts off and it smells like strait fuel at cold starts, I have to keep the rpms up to keep it alive than once it warms up its a lot better but the car still idles up and down and sometimes shuts off, I can hear what might be a big vac leak around the area of my iac, its pretty loud sounds like air sucking in, The car also has a weird hesitation problem, I stomp the gas and it kind of puts than goes than puts than goes, I am thinking its a big vac leak.

dsg gts

Reaction score
ok i have a 95 gts.i bought it a year ago.it has trickflow hci. it is the street burner setup on it.last fall it blew a headgasket. the 95 motor has 163000 miles on it. I had a 91 5.0 out of a lx with 70.000 miles on it. so i took everything off of the 95 block and put it in the 91.all new sensors . it has a 70 mm bbk throttlebody. granettely mas bbk long tubes with flowmaster 2 1/2 pipes that dump by the axle.it ia a 5 speed and it has the 273 rear gears in it.last year it got 34mpg on 93 octange shell gas.it has a chip by sct in it.last week i took it to road america it ran fine. my son has a cts-v. we played all of the way there.the car had a strange gauge thing going onm. so i thought it was a bad ground.i ran the codes. 511'118'327.i bought a used computer from a junk yard. this is the 3rd computer in this car.then i checked the voltage in the ect. it would not read. so i checked the old one. it was fine so i put the old one back in.the egr was still there so i plugged the header,the i plugged the angle intake piece,and just left it wries hang. so i assumed that i needed to do something with the egr plug. i found a place online that sells egr shutoff plugs. well long story short when ups delivered it the box was emptie. no plug. so i'm taking the grey plug end off and am trying to figure out how to make it work. the article on here states that we have to figure out the halfway mark and fix it there. does anyony know why only halfway?. now the car will only start with the gas pedal all of the way to the floor and runs like crap. it will not idle much less tay running . and it smells so rich it burns your eyes. this thing is driving me crazy. all new gaskets from trickflow when I changed everything over. it has the trickflow stage 1 cam in it. when it runs it runs unbeleiveable.for now it's collecting dust in my garage.it was dynoed at 275rwh and 309 rwt.in 2007.ity weighs 3000lbs with 1/4 tankof gas and the timeing is at 14.

dsg gts

Reaction score
where do you guys get an adjustable throttle postion sensor? mine is at 1.04 acording to the article it should be 94-98. or else idle issues. ha all of them that i find are non adjustable.

dsg gts

Reaction score
went to advance auto and bought a new tps. then i put it on and tried to get the recomended voltage reading. no way. the closest i got was 104. after playing with it for over an hour i decided to hook it all back up. well guess what. it idles right at 1000 rpm. no surge no stumble nothing. i still need to put the throttle half way down to start it but it runs great.when i go down the hiway though it doesn't like to run below 2000 rpm. so i figure it has a vacumn leak. i sprayed carb cleaner every where that has a vacumn conection. it still idles at 1000. no fast idle or anything? i think i will pull off the intake and reseal it anyway as all of the hoses now are new. unless you guys know anything different. i think i will hog out the old tps just to see what happens at the recomended voltage.hey at least this way it already runs fine so i'm not wrecking a good piece.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Its not a vacuun leak, I'm guessing, more likely its the voltage from your tps tellling the ecu you are at part throttle. I have that problem right now too, had to order a new tps.

dsg gts

Reaction score
ok now the idle is worked out. now new problem.after i first start it say the first 5 min. it will rip up any road. then it starts to run strange. it misses then it straightens out runs good not great but ok. then it stumbles real bad almost wants to shut down i give it lots of gas to keep it running. the it throws a check engine light. reves up to 2500 then it settles down to normal. this whole process takes from 10 to 15 mins.then it runs fine except for the steady driving. i can speed up fine and slow down ok but a steady cruise it misses or bucks.i've replaced every sensor. every vacumn area. even sprayed the intrie intake up over around searching for a leak nothing. could the distributor be the problem? how would i check that?

kennebellgt

Reaction score
your dizzy could very much so be the problem, I would put my money towards your ignition coil, borrow a friends or replace it. i bet it cures your problems, I just went through all of this. let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T's Convertible

Members online