FML: Yet ANOTHER trans broken....

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah so I installed my MGW Shifter today.(AMAZING shifter BTW!!) Went to get new eye glasses and on the way home(like 2 minutes from home) I went to shift from third to fourth, and it popped out. Go to throw it in fourth again and it didnt grind or anything (normally grinds going into third and fourth pretty good.) give it a little gas and notice the RPM's climbing but not going anywhere. By this time I slowed down a good bit so I throw it in third(no grind) and low and behold third gear decided to take a hike as well....

I swear, when it rains it pours.... This car has been nothing but problems since the first day. Had to throw a new rear end in it the first week due to the owner letting the rear end go without any fluid. Then the engine decided it hated life so I picked up my Fox Lake headed engine. Two months after that I was cruising down the highway @65mph and lost every gear but fourth. Picked up a used TR3650 out of a 04 Mach1. Well my wife started having seizures so fixing the Mustang was put on the backburner. After we got her meds straightened out and her health almost back to normal she told me to fix the Mustang. Me and a buddy put the TR3650 in and before even taking it off the stands I realized third and fourth gear syncros were toast. I've been babying it when I have to drive it(letting it fall into gear, barely grinding) until I could afford the new trans or get the 3650 rebuilt. But as my luck has it, now its parked in the driveway for who knows how long...

Seriously thinking about cutting my losses and selling it the way it sits and picking up a truck or something.....

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Been in that boat with my old F-150 several times. In my experience it always helped to take a couple days off and clear my head then I would forget about wanting to sell it/scrap it and be ready to get it back going no matter what it took. Sorry to hear it crapped out on ya though.

OP
OP
chris91

chris91

Reaction score
Of course it has to happen when Im broke as can be. I dont see myself having the money for it for a good while. More than likely it will be down most of the summer.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Been there too.
Keep you head up and when the weather breaks look for a part time job for the extra jack.
BTW I'LL be in Cincy next week for a wedding.

OP
OP
chris91

chris91

Reaction score
Guy down in Louisville was going to charge me $300 for the syncro replacement. He warned me not to drive it much but I just had to after installing the MGW....

But yeah, now that I took out 3rd and 4th, it'll probably run about that. If I sold all this junk I have I could afford to get it done. Plus if the weather would warm up I could start up detailing again.

I did have a T56 setup offered to me for $1400. Came out of a low mile car, hes just going auto for his big nasty turbo. At times like this Im glad I refuse to have a credit card. haha

I think Im going to take my old T45 apart and see how the insides of the tailshaft look. Duffy offered me his old T45 for CHEAP, just gotta figure out shipping.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
maybe instead of buying a new shifter you should have fixed the trans first?

OP
OP
chris91

chris91

Reaction score
Who said I bought the shifter? I traded a lil .22 pea shooter that I couldnt sell for $100. Thanks for advice though Dad...

OP
OP
chris91

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah the gun was given to me so I couldnt pass it up. If I end up going back to a T45, Ill just sell it and buy one for the T45. :D

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn Chris... you seem to have the worst luck with these transmissions.
I wish I would have sold the 3650 out of the white cobra to you. :deeplist:

lutter94

Reaction score
Stop buying used tranny's! By the time you're done messing around, an initial rebuild would have been way cheaper.....

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I like my T45... haters can hate but it's held up better than both 3650s you've unfortunately had and I beat the shit out of it. If you can find a decent used one by all means I'd grab one

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chris91

chris91

Reaction score
I bought ONE used tranny. I'm talking about breaking the t45 AND the 3650. Neither time was i beating on the car! I don't realty care what trans is in it. I just want a good trans. And Joey I have slightly more power than you too. LoL. I do know as soon as we close on the new house, my car is going in the garage and the tranny is getting yanked out. I do like the gearing of the Mach1 TR3650. Ugh I need to sell this nitro RC shit I have to fund the rebuild....

ProKiller

Reaction score
keep looking on the CL and the corral. stuff pops up all the time. might want to call up hanlon to see what he can do rebuild wise. or promotion

OP
OP
chris91

chris91

Reaction score
Anyone have a stick of dynamite?? I mean not only is it bad enough that my relationship of 17 years just ended two days ago too, now my car is Fubar....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas