FPDM Help - Can you ID this chip?

Gray

Reaction score
I have identified the faulty chip on my FPDM, but I cannot identify this component in order to attempt to procure a new one. Any one have experience with electronics? Ideas? Suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-211814_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190216-211814_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

01yellercobra

Reaction score
You're going to have to unsolder it and see if there's numbers on the other side. My guess is it's a capacitor. I used to work with surface mount components at an old job. Usually if a resistor goes bad it shorts and blows up.

How did you troubleshoot it?

OP
OP
G

Gray

Reaction score
Hey Yeller, I use a multimeter to determine continuity and resistance across all chips and components, this is the only chip, even amongst other "C _ _" that did not return a continuity or resistance. As per your recommendation I will remove the chip and insect the reverse for identifiable numbers. Thank you!

This is not a viable way to determine its bad. It could be a diode that is working correctly and it would not show resistance one way and as he said above unless the parts are off the board you can't check them.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinnCobra

Reaction score
capacitors don't show resistance when measured with multimeter, and you can't be sure if you measure components when they are soldered in board. Measuring voltage can circulate in other components.

OP
OP
G

Gray

Reaction score
capacitors don't show resistance when measured with multimeter, and you can't be sure if you measure components when they are soldered in board. Measuring voltage can circulate in other components.

Technically correct, resistance isn't the value I was looking for though - resistance would simply tell me if current could go from one point to the other and tells me if the chip can function at all. All I was looking for when I went digging was a fault of some kind, and it does appear that I have found it. That capacitor, C10, was definitely bad... Problem is I have no idea if I can even get another one. I can't really make sense of the extremely tiny print that seems to be ( v- 3 )

I called around and found someone with a board, and I'll be collecting it Tuesday if I can't find a way to salvage this one. I really prefer to repair rather than replace, whenever possible.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
FWIW, I did some quick digging and that might be a 47uF tantalum capacitor.

OP
OP
G

Gray

Reaction score
FWIW, I did some quick digging and that might be a 47uF tantalum capacitor.

Thanks! If I can ever resolve the issue I'll look into repairing the board again. I just threw the new one in, no fix. Now getting extremely frustrated. Going to go back to original thread, as it is located in the appropriate forum for the issue. Thanks to everyone who commented with regards to the board, you are appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online