Front Splitter

drewsky121

Reaction score
Hey guys.. i've got a 1995 gts that i'm slowly converting into a track car. looking at front splitters and not having much luck at actually finding functional ones. What have you guys done? made your own and if so, how? or what kit? any advice would be awesome. thanks!

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

This kind of self promotion, but its exactly what you're looking for and its the only kit like it. The kit is a brand new release, the first batch is going out very soon. The tubular support which is provided with the kit is crucial to maximizing the downforce effect of the splitter, as the support rods bolt directly to it through the bumper. Without it, you are just going to be attaching to the weak bumper cover and flexing your bumper instead of pushing your car down.
http://www.fullytorquedracing.com/1994-2004-sn95-mustang-splitter-kit.html

13549867914_cc0e5cbf60_z.jpg

Basically it consists of a tubular support structure to support the splitter under the bumper cover, an abs apron, support rods, all the necessary hardware, and a template for you to make the splitter front whatever you choose. Popular choices are alumalite ( << my vote), plywood, abs, carbon fiber, and tegris. MadStang can school you on a lot of the materials' different benefits as well as the math and concepts that go into an effective splitter. This thread was from a couple months ago has a lot of good info in it http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?65714-Rare-front-splitter-or-custom/page2

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
\m/ HAIL SATAN
[MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION]

@ BTR Motorsports

oh wait, no one will get ze joke :mustangchris:

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
\m/ HAIL SATAN
Ferocious

@ BTR Motorsports

oh wait, no one will get ze joke :mustangchris:

You rang?

baphomet.png~c200

1st splitter I made was out of 4 ply sanded fir plywood coated in spar urethane.
See [MENTION=10532]MadStang[/MENTION]'s how-to on how to build one: http://tinyurl.com/orv228c

13944962403_aa77d6b2ab_z.jpg
14040550671_2c7c29dd94_z.jpg

2nd one I made (currently on the car until I destroy it) is made of ABS plastic.

14306055270_14cac4d5b2_z.jpg

Make sure that you have an apron that sits perpendicular to the force being applied to create a high pressure area. This in term will create a larger net downforce. Madstang will hopefully chime in and provide his knowledge on this as he has much more knowledge than me. (And his parts are actually functional).

Also I want to throw out that if you are looking for support rods for your splitter, look no further than http://fullytorquedracing.co/.
They custom made mine and are great!!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Splitter angle and its effects, and materials that can be used are some good topics.... still reading on splitter angle

OP
OP
D

drewsky121

Reaction score
hey, this is perfect guys. just what i was looking for. thanks a lot! when the money comes around, it looks like i'll be purchasing one of those kits. thanks for the help

OP
OP
D

drewsky121

Reaction score
out of curiosity, when you installed all of yours, how much of a difference was truly noticeable? could you feel it?

ba#97

Reaction score
on the track or on the autox course you should most definitely feel the difference if the splitter is made correctly. I.E. isn't too flimsy, actually goes to the front of the wheel wells at least and probably has about 3 inches extending outwards...(at least). this all being said if you don't have track experience yet, (which you may very well have lots for all I know), but if you don't, then you will have no idea how much of an effect it makes. you won't know whether it's you getting better as a driver or the splitter doing the work. I will say that if you don't have some sort of slight rear downforce enhancement to offset the added front downforce you will be receiving by adding a splitter, it may have an adverse effect on your handling.

RichV

Reaction score
What sort of track car are you building and what is your experience?

As stated, track modifications are a step by step thing. As you feel the need to modify something because you have maxed out the function you currently have. Last weekend I saw a couple of SNs with Cobra R style front bumper and splitter. I thought this one looked the best from all the ones I've seen.

OP
OP
D

drewsky121

Reaction score
What sort of track car are you building and what is your experience?

I'm building a weekend fun car right now. its my daily driver for the time being but its slowly coming around, plus i wouldn't mind it having look good too.

my experience as a driver on these cars: pretty much none. my experience racing: for most of my life, and i've crewed for several teams. i just don't have the experience racing my own! thanks for the help guys, you'll see me coming back a lot of questions.. hope you don't mind! thanks y'all.

OP
OP
D

drewsky121

Reaction score
actually.. whats the best front bumper for 94-98 cars for a good splitter? stick with the stock or is there one that people have better luck with?

ba#97

Reaction score
Stock is fine but as you just admitted, if you don't have any experience on the track yourself I'd say definitely leave it alone and get time on the track. As of right now if you put a splitter on your car with no on track experience in thus car...you'd literally have no idea what it helped or hampered. If that makes sense. Crewing at the track is great but getting behind the wheel yourself is a whole different story. Need to learn the limits of the car (and the driver) first, then make changes from there.

ba#97

Reaction score
And from what it looks like to me your car should be plenty capable as is...as mine is almost the same minus IRS, and its quite formidable on the track even without a splitter or rear aero. Get on the track! I also recommend you talk to the guy on svtp in the open track section as they have a ton of knowledge. Sadly there's only a handfiul of us on here that can chime in on autox and road course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online