fuel grade question?

281powered

Reaction score
i use 87 octane in my car should i be useing a higher grade with my mods or is it fine they way it is? could i be robbing it of power useing lower grade?

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Don't know if i can give you an answer but, i can tell you what i think. Ive heard that higher octane gas does nothing for our cars. I've also heard guys say that's all they use. Personally i was using 87 and decided to go to 93 about 2 months ago. Maybe my minds playing tricks on me but i swear my car ran better on the 93. I'm basically stock and it seems like my car pulls harder. It's like I'm using my left foot a lot less, the car just cruises along..

..I also must admit i just got gas this morning and the price of 93 was $3.12...I went with 87, ill add some octane boost and go back to 93 when its under $3.00.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
All my friends with GTs run mid grade. Im not sure how much it would effect it but the reason Ive always used premium in my car (Cobras can get away with mid grade) is because ultimately its gonna burn cleaner, so it will help keep the interals cleaner inthe long run.

97vertstang

Reaction score
since gas went past 3 bucks here i been using 87 with no problems yet , but performance wise u can tell.when it comes down from 3 bucks if it evers i will go back to 89.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I run 87 in the gt and 93 in the snake. The arabs are robbing me.

97vertstang

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
I run 87 in the gt and 93 in the snake. The arabs are robbing me.
thats why we need our own oil supply!!!! they are getting rich of us!!!!!let me rephrase that they are getting richer!!!

97GTS

Reaction score
honestly 281powered, if you got stock compression, stock tune/timing u dont need anymore than 87

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I would say you wouldnt need more than 87 on a new motor with a stock tune and stock compression..

But, cars with more miles on them might need the extra octane boost.

I was getting horrible detonation with 87 and it was still there with 89. After using 93 the difference was amazing. I was seriously probably hindered atleast 25% of my power on the lower grade octane. Once I bumped to premium, the pinging was about 95% gone and the motor pulled so damn hard. After some seafoam, fuel filter change, and regapping the plugs, and running premium, the difference was amazing.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
your stock tune is set to run on regular so unless your running lean & pinging you don't need higher octane. Once you get retuned or a hand held tuner to add timing etc then you need mid or high octane fuel.
Also you didn't raise your compression...so you ok with regular but will gain some HP with a Dyno tune and Super.

ALITL8

Reaction score
the 97 gt's get 91-93 cause theyre spoiled, the rodeo gets mid grade cause its on a budget and the beast (87 GMC suburban) get 87 cause its too old to care. if i take any of the vehicles on a long trip they get premium because "I" believe they run better and get better gas mileage on the higher grade fuel. if or when fuel prices go down i'll run premium in all my rides.

basically the only thing higher octane does it prevent pre-detonation. i posted a link in another thread on this subject. if you feel like looking it up, do a search for "octane" on the board... its a good article :thumb:

97vertstang

Reaction score
i just used seafoam on my car a couple days ago and my car runs so much smoother like when i was running 91.so im another seafoam supporter :thumb:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
seafoam is the shit!!! if it wasn't we wouldn't have that 10,000 page thread on Stangnet about it :D

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yea, I'm actually gonna try some 105 octane in a few days. (I live near a racetrack and airport) $4 something a gallon but I want to see what it does. Will probably run that if I get nitrious.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
Yea, I'm actually gonna try some 105 octane in a few days. (I live near a racetrack and airport) $4 something a gallon but I want to see what it does. Will probably run that if I get nitrious.

extra insurance with the nos :thumb:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Yup, the airport stuff is the one i'm going to try, its like 105 or 110 octane. Motor should be smooth as glass. A buddy of mine runs it in his trans am and loves it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online