fuel in oil after PI engine swap

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Just did a PI engine swap on my '96 GT. Initially I could not get the engine to idle so I attempted to clean out my IAC valve. It appeared to have some effect since it idled for about 5 minutes until it died. I could not get it to start back up. It would crank but not start up. I checked my oil and noticed that it was contaminated with fuel. I think trying to run off of 2.5 year old gas would have caused my injectors to stick and wash the cylinders therefore contaminating the oil. Does this make sense? is there anything else that would cause my engine to have fuel in the oil? thanks everyone for reading.

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Regulator overpowering injectors. ECM holding them open. First thing I'd do is check injector pulse. Also check your grounds. Bad ground will cause things like that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
first thing I would say is drain the tank and get fresh gas but that ain't why its in the oil obviously.

hondarocks61

Reaction score
As the others said, first thing that comes to mind is a stuck injector. Might want to replace the fuel filter while your at it.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Having the cam timing off will do this too, but it shouldnt run....or I guess it would run bad. I dont have any real experience when it comes to 2v cam timing being off.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Looks like I have something to look into. I brought the scan tool home to find out that i have a P0320 code. Initially, I thought I used the wrong trigger wheel (I used the one from the '07 police interceptor engine), but I looked it up and they are the same part even though they have different construction. I am going to check out my crankshaft position sensor and see whats going on. Think this could be the cause?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A buddy did a 4v swap. Some joker wannabe cam guru was helping him out but mislead him on installing the cams properly. Long story short, cams installed wrong, car still ran but flooded the oil pan. Destroyed all the crank bearings!

Glad my random info helped

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
I am still thinking My oil is being thinned out by the gas that went into the crankcase. I flushed it out with some cheap 5/30 w/ a few ounces of seafoam and then flushed it out again with some 5/30 with a quart of Lucas oil. It just still seems like it is thinned out. Not to mentione I am having oil pressure issues at idle when the engine warms up. Initial startup is fine. I think the oil is thinning out even more when hot.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A 4.6l holds about 2 quarts of oil within the engine. I can see changing the oil numerous times to get it back to normal. The thin oil isnt a bad thing. Its what has it thinned out that is.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
A 4.6l holds about 2 quarts of oil within the engine. I can see changing the oil numerous times to get it back to normal. The thin oil isnt a bad thing. Its what has it thinned out that is.

Yeah, I am going to do another oil change before I do the work. Im still pretty sure the oil is contaminated. I think another treatment would be worth trying again. I dont think I ran this engine long enough to do any major damage. Plus it was at idle when it was running, I wasnt driving it around and I wasnt bringing it up into higher RPMs. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Use straight oil. No additional additives needed.

Yeah I used straight oil and I am still having issues with oil pressure. It has pressure at idle initially, then it drops to zero. Pressure raises when off idle. I hear a rod noise. I probably need new rod bearings. It makes no sense to me why I would smh. This was a good engine tight engine which looked like new internally when I bought it. I am still thinking there is a lack of pressure issue. Since the gauge on these cars are pretty much an on/off switch, perhaps there is barely enough pressure to switch it on. Im gonna check the Pick up tube o ring and probably just replace the pickup tube in general. If that doesnt work ill have to replace rod and main bearings. thanks for the help

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Gas washes the bearings free of the film oil leaves behind

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Gas washes the bearings free of the film oil leaves behind

So, you are pretty much saying that the gas will keep oil out of the bearings? They will keep that film of oil out of the clearances? After 3 Flushes, I should have all the gas out of the system. What do you guys think?

95GT86SS

Reaction score
No I'm saying it washes them out. It will go back but it's unknown if it's done any damage

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online