Fuel Pump Going Out?

HuskerGT

Reaction score
For years my GT's fuel pump makes a certain sound before turning the key to fire it up. Last month, the sound was different, not as crisp, if you will.
On 2 occasions when driving, it seemed like the engine cut out, sort of like a miss, but would keep driving along. Then, when at a light, it simply died. It fired back up, but took a few more cranks than usual. About a week before this I was backing out of a parking stall and it died. It fired, but again, took a few more cranks to fire.

Since this is the original fuel pump, I think it might be going. Based on the symptoms, what do you guys say?

There's a forum member that has a Walbro 255 for sale here so I thought I'd ask now before it sells.

Thanks

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
For the price a 255lph costs new I wouldn't mess with a used a pump

Witzy0070

Reaction score
It sounds like it's plausible it could be a fuel pump. I'd throw a pump, fuel filter, and plugs in it.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
New pumps aren't expensive! I agree with new and filter will do the job. These pumps have 10-20 year life span from what i've seen over the years.

OP
OP
H

HuskerGT

Reaction score
For the price a 255lph costs new I wouldn't mess with a used a pump
This is the one I am talking about:
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?69460-Walbro-255-LPH-Fuel-Pump-NEW

New pumps aren't expensive! I agree with new and filter will do the job. These pumps have 10-20 year life span from what i've seen over the years.
I wonder if it's just the fuel filter?

It sounds like it's plausible it could be a fuel pump. I'd throw a pump, fuel filter, and plugs in it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just checked it, turned the key, and the fp sounds normal... Now that I think about it, that sound I thought I was hearing when I turn the key is pretty much the normal sound, LOL

Maybe I'll put new plugs in and a fuel filter in (since I haven't changed the filter since I've owned it). I'll check the timing after I change the plugs.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
The filter could be clogged and impede flow, but that makes the pump work harder then it should. Its a good idea to replace both so you do not have to wonder.

OP
OP
H

HuskerGT

Reaction score
I replaced the filter & plugs hoping that would do it. It ran great on the test run but on my way to fill it up tonight (about a week and a half after the replacement) it cut out on me a couple more times and died at a stop light. Wouldn't start so I pushed it out of the way and am now waiting for a flatbed tow truck to tow me back home. It'll start but dies like its not getting fuel. Sound like its the fuel pump to you guys?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
could be the dizzy too.
The PIP is also what keeps the FP running after the initial prime.

87hurricane

Reaction score
First check for spark and fuel pressure. If you've got spark, check for power at the inertia switch in the trunk. If you've got power there when you turn on the key, but little or no fuel pressure its your pump. Make sure you watch fuel pressure while cranking too, I've seen pumps that would build pressure on prime when there was no demand, but were incapable of moving and volume to hold the pressure.

OP
OP
H

HuskerGT

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions & help. Wanna just go with a stock lph pump. Anyone have any experience or can recommend a brand? Saw an install kit while looking on LMR. Needed as well?
Thanks

toyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions & help. Wanna just go with a stock lph pump. Anyone have any experience or can recommend a brand? Saw an install kit while looking on LMR. Needed as well?
Thanks

Really, don't go with a stock 90 lph pump. They are not cheaper and there is no downside to a larger flow rated one. I would suggest you get a Walbro GSS340 pump.

OP
OP
H

HuskerGT

Reaction score
Really, don't go with a stock 90 lph pump. They are not cheaper and there is no downside to a larger flow rated one. I would suggest you get a Walbro GSS340 pump.
I'm not planning on modding the engine other than what's done already. Isn't that too much pressure for a stock setup?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Return style fuel system. Any additional fuel is redirected back to the tank.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
H

HuskerGT

Reaction score
I can hear the pump working before I fire it. It runs fine under acceleration but when it is at a lower rpm, like cruising, I get a miss on occasion.

On my drive out to get some gas, rolling through my neighborhood, it had a couple of mild "misses" but continued on. I got on it a little once out on the main road and it pulled normally. The drive to the gas station took me to 3 stoplights. it was fine on the first 2 but at the 3rd stop light it just died. No sputtering or anything. Just the rpm dropped and that was it. This happened to once before. It took longer to crank & fire but did. After that I replaced the stuff mentioned earlier.

Been doing some more reading on my problem and have found some references to the cam position sensor going bad or even the alternator going bad. I remember a similar thing happened with my wife's Jeep a few years ago. A couple of sputters here and there and then one day, while getting gas, it would not fire. Cranked just fine, but no fire. It was the sensor that went bad.

Still reading up...

bluex

Reaction score
Are there any codes? A bad sensor will throw a code. I had a weird problem on my wife's suburban where it would die on her with no warning after coming to a stop at a light or sign. Fuel pressure was always good when I checked it an held steady for 45 mins or more. I tried a tune up, New crank sensor, fuel filter. I was about to give up an take it to a shop but I borrowed a better fuel pressure gauge with a longer lead. I drove it for 45 mins an got it to stall. When it did it barely had 20 psi of fuel pressure an wouldn't build more than that until it sat 20 mins or so an cooled off. First time I've ever had a pump do that an I wasted almost $200 throwing other parts at it.

Long story short if you don't have a code for bad sensor don't change it based on a hunch. Any auto parts store can load test your alt an battery for free. I'll bet it's your fuel pump....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
5.0's don't have cam sensors.

We have pip modules.

When my pip went bad the car were randomly cut out and ever so often woudnt start easily. Then one day it just up and woudnt start and it ended up being my pip. Stabbed a new dizzy in place and it fired right up.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online