Gas Tank

Boostr1

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to drop and install it. Iv'e dropped mine already and getting ready to install the new one. Just wondering if there is more of an efficient way to do it with not having a lift. Just jack stands and floor jack. Pics would be great.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
easiest way is when its empty. If it isn't empty when you drop it you can disconnect the fuel line and use the pump to empty it. Putting it back up is about the same its not that big of a deal when its empty.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
What ttocs said. Empty it as much as you can and drop it. I did it ontop of a floor jack with 2x4's for stability and an extra set of hands help. Floor jack was my savior through the whole thing. Go slow and don't spill anything. Make sure the area is well ventilated because gas fumes and don't have any ignition sources around.

I did my first gas tank drop/fuel pump swap at age 17 on an old Ford Explorer. I was going to heat strink the electrical connections with heat shrink and a lighter. Yeah..... I think God stopped me last second as I'm 33 now and remember that moment.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I'm gonna need something attached to my jack so have at least one hand free to manipulate stuff and keep the tank stable. Hmm gonna have to think of something.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Old tank has been out. I'll be doing the new tank by myself and it's empty. The other day I was mocking it up to make sure my braided fuel line would reach and see how hard it would be to connect and disco the lines. I was just fighting with it even when I used a jack.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I'm gonna need something attached to my jack so have at least one hand free to manipulate stuff and keep the tank stable. Hmm gonna have to think of something.

My daily is a 2018 F150 and I keep large and small ratchet straps in there depending on the load I'm hailing. I ratchet strapped a 2x4 that I custom cut to my jack then used smaller straps on each side to the 2x4.

I don't know if all floor jacks have an opening in the middle of the lift arm and pivot part that makes contact with the car but my aluminum racing jack from HF did.

The balance is going to be wonky but go slow. You could also use jack stands to lower the tank onto if you have the car high enough. A second set of hands helps the most.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
HF has this low profile transmission scissor jack... If I can get coupon might get that. its got a nice flat surface. Strap a couple 2x4s to it and that would be a great third hand.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Old tank has been out. I'll be doing the new tank by myself and it's empty. The other day I was mocking it up to make sure my braided fuel line would reach and see how hard it would be to connect and disco the lines. I was just fighting with even when it used a jack.
Ah gotcha. Ratchet straps are cheap at HF or even amazon. Here is how I strapped the 2x4 to the jack.

pqN6zj.png

TheOdessa

Reaction score
HF has this low profile transmission scissor jack... If I can get coupon might get that. its got a nice flat surface. Strap a couple 2x4s to it and that would be a great third hand.

Didn't even think of that. That'd be a ton more stable. I was just using what I had already on hand.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you think its fun for you? Do something fun and integrate a carbon fiber diffuser into the gas tank cover. Now do it all with the fear of breaking the fin off, scratching the bumper, scratching the cover.... I had to make a cradle out of wood/foam that held it up with with out touching the fins while of course it was taped up like crazy. I have had to take it down 2 times so I have saved that cradle for sure...

gUAgUpg.jpg

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Cause I have a feeling I will be installing and lowering that tank a few times.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Didn't even think of that. That'd be a ton more stable. I was just using what I had already on hand.

I didn't even think of your way. I think my jack does have that gap. Good ideer.

you think its fun for you? Do something fun and integrate a carbon fiber diffuser into the gas tank cover. Now do it all with the fear of breaking the fin off, scratching the bumper, scratching the cover.... I had to make a cradle out of wood/foam that held it up with with out touching the fins while of course it was taped up like crazy. I have had to take it down 2 times so I have saved that cradle for sure...

gUAgUpg.jpg

Phsss, I wouldn't have the patience... lol

TheOdessa

Reaction score

gUAgUpg.jpg

Lord have mercy that's a sexy stance/ass. This isn't my prouded fap but I've got off to worse. Looks good man. That's so damn low though.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I didn't even think of your way. I think my jack does have that gap. Good ideer.

Phsss, I wouldn't have the patience... lol
It's the small things that count. Your signature reminds me of Donut Media and James Pumphrey.

MO POWA BABY!

Pop up pop up up and down headlights!!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can get it close to where you need it with a pair of jack stands and then wiggle it into place.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lord have mercy that's a sexy stance/ass. This isn't my prouded fap but I've got off to worse. Looks good man. That's so damn low though.
thanks. Its funny I was thinking it was high :) when I took that pic I just hit preset #1 and thought it let all the air out. Well it didn't and I discovered it can go lower. I ain't gonna be driving it like that but it looks good parked and is another way to stop anyone from towing it.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
thanks. Its funny I was thinking it was high :) when I took that pic I just hit preset #1 and thought it let all the air out. Well it didn't and I discovered it can go lower. I ain't gonna be driving it like that but it looks good parked and is another way to stop anyone from towing it.

Ohhh you're on air ride I see! Well that changes everything. Here I thought you were that low on springs or coil overs. What did the air ride run you total?

I always was intrigued but was never fully aware of the cost when I feel like that cost could go towards a blower but hey you never know.

joe65

Reaction score
lol. yeah don't forget to burn out the left over fuel in the tank with a lighter. That will empty it out real fast like. i was just looking at buying a new tank for mine. The ass end of my car around the gas tank is a bit rusty. need to get that tank out and deal with coating that stuff over.

Oh and that is one good thing about a fox, i just realized. They don't have all the evap bs at the gas tank. I remember unstrapping one i had and all that was on top was the pump connections.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ohhh you're on air ride I see! Well that changes everything. Here I thought you were that low on springs or coil overs. What did the air ride run you total?

I always was intrigued but was never fully aware of the cost when I feel like that cost could go towards a blower but hey you never know.
Ridetech shockwaves on the corners and their E3 system would have paid for a nice blower. But with side exhaust it can be hard to keep it in good condition and at the height you want it at.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
I recommend putting a piece of plywood About 1 foot square or something similar on the jack when you lift the tank into place. This will give you the ability to slide the tank around a little bit so that you can align the tank into the car as you lift it into place. If it is approximately centered, you should be able to put the tank retaining straps on while clearing the piece of wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online