Gears and how to fit.

95-stang

Reaction score
One of my fellow UK stangers just replied to a question i posted, price of having gears fitted here is expensive, but here is his reply.

"Having installed my own 4.10's the ABS sensors came off relatively easily. I gave mine a liberal coating of WD40 a day before hand and no problems. If you have the time and buy Ford Racing gears the installation is relatively straight forward to do it yourself. The Ford Racing gears all seem to be set up to use a standard pinion head setting height. I ended up using the original shim again and set up checked fine. No whine!"

Does that seem about right, if i use Ford gears its that easy?

And here's a quote to fit them:

"We can fit 3.73's for you. That would work out good all round. Labour is between 6-8hrs, we advise that ABS sensors my need to be replace as there is always chance of damage when removing the shafts. The gears are £179.95+vat, Installation kits starts at £38.95+vat this includes shims and seals etc, the next kit up includes new pinion and carrier bearings and then the most expensive kit includes rear shaft/wheel bearings.

Our labour rates are:
Mechanical £45+vat per hour (10% discount when parts purchased from Adrenaline)
Fabrication £40+vat per hour.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Danny Bates
Adrenaline Race & Performance Ltd"

Dont forget to multiply the £'s times 2 to get the price in $'s. :eek:

Downshift

Reaction score
Are you looking to do them yourself? I am really thinking about doing them myself. Its just the 100 degree heat and knowing that somethign will happen and my car will be down 3 days plug not having a garage to do it in really makes me think hard haha. Its about 300 dollars to intall them here in California not counting the 180 for gears and the 85-130 for the intall kit.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
I'm thinking about it, i just wish the heat was a problem here!! Swap you for low temps and rain. :)
Its one of those jobs though you just cant afford to get wrong, so i need to do as much research as possible, i already have AFR heads to go on, BBK shorty headers, etc etc and its starting to get expensive if i have to pay someone else to do the axle. :(

Downshift

Reaction score
95-stang said:
I'm thinking about it, i just wish the heat was a problem here!! Swap you for low temps and rain. :)
Its one of those jobs though you just cant afford to get wrong, so i need to do as much research as possible, i already have AFR heads to go on, BBK shorty headers, etc etc and its starting to get expensive if i have to pay someone else to do the axle. :(

Ya I hear ya man. I have had these gears sitting here since December. I dont like the ones I have and I just really dont have the money to have someone put them in. What makes it worse is that the front seal and the cover on the rear end are leaking and they actually leave a noticable sized puddle when I stop somehwere so I need to do something fast. Sounds like you have some work ahead of you with the head, headers and gears though. Should be a whole new car even after just one of any of those mods though.

Downshift

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
Its simple if you have the tools. (Impacted & press mainly)

I dont even have a garage. I have all the basic tools and I know how to work on a car just fine. The impact and press arnt gonna happen haha. God I cant wait til im making good money and have a house haha.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Hehe, i have the house and the garage, if it was'nt for a sandblaster, 2 compressors, a full toolbox, a Triumph Bonneville, a CBR1000rr ,a fridge freezer. kids bikes, and a million other things i dont recognise i might one day get the car in and do some work in the dry. :)

TripleBlack

Reaction score
i did my 2.73's myself if it is your first time read like 5 walkthroughs and ask many questions on here, take your time and make sure it is right the first time...taking the rear out of your car would make it that much easier but a pain to do....

ryclef331

Reaction score
I don't know why you'd remove the ABS sensors....you don't have to. Also, I've done ONE....and I mean ONE set of gears. Now I just pay someone else to do them. Its a pain in the ass but it CAN be done. If you don't have an inpact, a BIG ass breaker bar is a MUST to crush the sleeve...even with an impact, it may not seat.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
I don't know why you'd remove the ABS sensors....you don't have to. Also, I've done ONE....and I mean ONE set of gears. Now I just pay someone else to do them. Its a pain in the ass but it CAN be done. If you don't have an inpact, a BIG ass breaker bar is a MUST to crush the sleeve...even with an impact, it may not seat.
because you can not remove the axles. You have to push in a little to get the clip out and the abs sensor is in the way.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Thats right....I forgot the car I did them on had the ABS exciter rings but was a non abs car....no sensors...

91paxmustang

I did my gears last year and broke both the abs sensors, have yet to replace them, has anyone replaced any before? I couldnt find where the wire that is attached to the sensor disconnects.

TripleBlack

Reaction score
i don't think you need them, if you don't mind the light being on, i am just going to remove all my lights.....

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Cant get away with that here, if the ABS light is on, it fails the MOT test. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online