Generally new to SN95 mustangs, checklist for buying one

RegularJeff

Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m going to be flying out to look at a 1996 Cobra with 120k miles. It seems to be in good shape. Stock, No leaks, no warning lights and some recent maintenance. I’m coming from owning a miata, and want to know what I should look out for/ask.

I know About the engine, and the transmission problems. But anything else, I’m pretty much a noob on. What should I look out for?

I’m new to American cars and v8’s too.
I’m pretty mechanically handy too, so I can fix a lot of stuff. Anyways, thank you!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fist I would check the vin to be sure its a real cobra. A lot of people liked to dress gt's up like cobra's and there are a lot of other people that do not know the difference so I have met people that were sold a GT but were told it was a cobra and believed them. As for the body I would give a close look at the shock towers up front for rust at the bottom as well as around the fake brake vents in the back if you can get up under it.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
As mentioned above, areas (shock towers, rear brake vents, and rear frame support behind gas trunk underneath rear bumper) are prone to rust. You can either adjust your price accordingly or walk away. Tell the owner you'd like the engine cold when you get there instead of it being warmed up (surging idle issues when cold) could be an indicator of vacuum and exhaust leaks. And use your senses of smell, touch, and look for water leaks in the interior. As you noted above the vehicle is used and will have some issues just be prepared to adjust your price accordingly.

Good luck and enjoy
Michael Plummer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online