"GoPro Hero"

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Surprisingly it didn't fill my memory card. only like 14gb out of 16gb.

Time lapse lasted from 11:27pm-3:07am

So I get 3.5 hrs of time lapse or like 2-2.5hrs of video depending on the setting.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so unless you are needing something longer then the 2.5 hours on video for your time lapse take it with video instead and you will be happier with the quality.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I find it weird that it doesn't pick up the LED city lights. Like it was super bright out last night, didn't catch any of it. Maybe its because the light is so faint and focused.

It catches the old style lights though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
leds on signs and such while they look like they are on all the time, they are actually flashing fast enough that your eyes don't pick it up. If you ever see footage of old CRT tvs often you would see the screen half refreshed in between images and often would show have the screen grey. Video mode will help this but you will still find leds that you know were on that will look like they are off.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Where you doing photo time lapse or video? Sometimes i get better results doing video, and on photo mode it depends on where its metering, i have owned every gopro from the SD to the hero3+, i need to get a Hero4 black that long exposure mode looks amazing and from my drone at night i think would look even more badass.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
leds on signs and such while they look like they are on all the time, they are actually flashing fast enough that your eyes don't pick it up. If you ever see footage of old CRT tvs often you would see the screen half refreshed in between images and often would show have the screen grey. Video mode will help this but you will still find leds that you know were on that will look like they are off.

You think LED street lights would flash fast enough for the camera not to pick them up?
Halogen and other lights would also flicker no? because of the 60HZ AC. I know if you go to europe or other places that use slower AC you can see their lights flicker.

How much difference is there with the LED

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your confusing the AC voltage freq with the current. AC voltage lights are current driven and yes while the voltage freq fluctuates, the current that lights them remains constant. Not sure what lights you have seen flickering in Europe I didn't notice them myself when I was there. LEDs in signs and such are driven by led driver circuits that flash them fast enough that your eyes don't notice but it allows them to last much longer. Now you can get a 12v led and connect it to your battery and take all the pics you want as it is always on, just will not last as long as one being driven by the proper circuit. The only way to have your camera catch it is to speed up how many frames/sec

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ttocs do you know if you can charge a go pro while recording?

I got this portable power supply thing that uses both usb and micro usb ports. Since the HERO has its charging port on the back and is accessible with the skeleton casing, wondering if I can shoot longer videos if the power supply plugged in?

I'd try it but the go pro is at my other place right now.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ttocs do you know if you can charge a go pro while recording?

I got this portable power supply thing that uses both usb and micro usb ports. Since the HERO has its charging port on the back and is accessible with the skeleton casing, wondering if I can shoot longer videos if the power supply plugged in?

I'd try it but the go pro is at my other place right now.

I have a external battery that I use for longer shots when I need it. There is no problem about having it plugged in for power while recording.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finally picked up a Hero today. Looking forward to putting it to good use this year with my usual random activities but for now I think it's gonna get some Civic action since it's still winter.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GoPro Studio is the glitchiest program I think I've ever used. Is it just me? I can't even import a video without it crashing half the time.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Works fine for me? Well I haven't used it lately, been using the canon. Well use the go pro once summer comes, if it comes.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I learned today about keeping the camera out of the wind line of the vehicle. I recorded nothing but wind noise after 20mph. I don't have any mounts yet so I just closed the base of the camera up in the sunroof, terrible placement for the mic.

WKT

Reaction score
We went to Best buy today to find my wife a new laptop and I got a GoPro 4 Silver edition. I haven't opened it yet and after reading thru this thread I'm thinking I might should take it back. I got it for Mustang Week this year but seems a lot of people have problems with them. Any other suggestions or is this the best camera?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
GoPro Studio is the glitchiest program I think I've ever used. Is it just me? I can't even import a video without it crashing half the time.

I really could not figure it out and ended up using windows movie maker or power director which I paid for.

Well I learned today about keeping the camera out of the wind line of the vehicle. I recorded nothing but wind noise after 20mph. I don't have any mounts yet so I just closed the base of the camera up in the sunroof, terrible placement for the mic.

Short of getting an external mic to run back into my interior I have not found many places that the wind noise doesn't drown everything out

I have loved mine and had great luck but I am running hero 3 blacks. If you have issues don't be afraid to try and contact them when I did no shit the phone rang 3 minutes later and they walked me through it.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Which backing are you using?

Get a suction cup mount

The open one (skeleton.) I'm gonna pick up a suction mount for sure. It seems like a no-brainer since most of my footage will be a vehicle of some kind. Cars, dirtbike, etc. So I'm gonna get a suction mount and a handlebar mount.

We went to Best buy today to find my wife a new laptop and I got a GoPro 4 Silver edition. I haven't opened it yet and after reading thru this thread I'm thinking I might should take it back. I got it for Mustang Week this year but seems a lot of people have problems with them. Any other suggestions or is this this camera?

I don't see why you'd want to take it back. I love mine so far, just keep it out of direct wind. Youtube has thousands of GoPro car videos that sound just fine. It's just about finding a good spot for it.

I really could not figure it out and ended up using windows movie maker or power director which I paid for.

Short of getting an external mic to run back into my interior I have not found many places that the wind noise doesn't drown everything out

I have loved mine and had great luck but I am running hero 3 blacks. If you have issues don't be afraid to try and contact them when I did no shit the phone rang 3 minutes later and they walked me through it.

Good to know, thanks.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My camera splits videos at 17min 34sec and makes a new one when recording. I was recording for about 45mins today and I have three videos even though I was recording continuously. Is this normal? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online