"GoPro Hero"

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Strange, I wonder why that is. Regular video cameras using SD cards don't do that.

Anyways, I ordered a suction cup mount today, should be here Tuesday.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'll find the files get split up it all sorts of odd ways. Doesn't matter to me since I use studio and it just its easy to mesh everything together.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its the only digital video camera I have used for anything more then a short video and I am in no way an expert, just from my own trials. I think the file needs a termination point written into it for it to work correctly. Meaning if you were recording video and something happened to the camera to where it didn't power down correctly that the entire file would appear corrupted to the pc/reader trying to play it later. So if it didn't break it up into smaller videos and after your 2 hrs of time lapse something happened, you would loose the whole file rather then just that last part it did not terminate. As he said its weird at first but the files are written in order so its easy to see where it starts and ends.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Hero2. I haven't had any issues with it, with the sole exception being the Wifi Bacpac - it works fine with the remote, but I can't get it to sync on iPhone. So, as mentioned, it's hard to line up shots sometimes. I also have a LCD Bacpac, but then I can't use my Wifi Bacpac. I'll eventually get a newer one.

I also discovered, unfortunately, a good bit of advice with these things. I went snow-machining and skiing for the first time a couple weekends ago. Took the GoPro. But I sealed it at home in Florida. Which means when it got to the colder temps, the air that was sealed inside condensed and fogged the lens. All the vids/pics were no good. So, either re-seal it in the environment you want to be in to balance the humidity in the air, or use special moisture wick things made for the GoPro/case.

Otherwise, I really enjoy these cameras.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The condensation forms in cool weather because it starts off cold but when it starts recording it then warms up. They make some small inserts that go on the sides to absorb/prevent this from happening. I got a pair when I won that contest but I have never used them.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Hero2. I haven't had any issues with it, with the sole exception being the Wifi Bacpac - it works fine with the remote, but I can't get it to sync on iPhone. So, as mentioned, it's hard to line up shots sometimes. I also have a LCD Bacpac, but then I can't use my Wifi Bacpac. I'll eventually get a newer one.

I also discovered, unfortunately, a good bit of advice with these things. I went snow-machining and skiing for the first time a couple weekends ago. Took the GoPro. But I sealed it at home in Florida. Which means when it got to the colder temps, the air that was sealed inside condensed and fogged the lens. All the vids/pics were no good. So, either re-seal it in the environment you want to be in to balance the humidity in the air, or use special moisture wick things made for the GoPro/case.

Otherwise, I really enjoy these cameras.

The condensation forms in cool weather because it starts off cold but when it starts recording it then warms up. They make some small inserts that go on the sides to absorb/prevent this from happening. I got a pair when I won that contest but I have never used them.

I was going to check this out for when I snowmobile. I'll have to check out the reviews and see what the deal is. I've seen plenty of ski/snowboard/snowmobile videos on youtube so they've got to be doing something to prevent this.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
more then likely they used a sealed case or else if you see more then one camera angle used in the vid then they are using the audio from the one that is shielded from the wind. It could even be a recording of the motor made at a completely different time that is then dropped in place of the video they like. Remember now this is all digital so it is super easy to take out the parts you don't like and add some you do and that goes both for sound and picture. I find its generally best to move the camera around to different locations on the same trip to not only get different angles, but because you never know when the angle you set happens to suck when you watch it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to check this out for when I snowmobile. I'll have to check out the reviews and see what the deal is. I've seen plenty of ski/snowboard/snowmobile videos on youtube so they've got to be doing something to prevent this.

A GoPro will totally work. And I used a sealed case because I didn't want any snow/water to get in to the camera. You will not have a problem if: before you go snow-machining, open the sealed case and expose it to the cold air. Maybe even take the camera out. Once you have done this, seal it back up. You are good to go. The problem I had was that when I sealed the camera, I was in Florida with really humid air. The case is water-tight - thus air-tight. I did not open the camera until after the trip when I got back to the hotel to charge the camera. So, when I was out in the cold, it was causing the warm Florida air inside the case to condense and fog up. Had I opened the case and put the same temp air (cold) in there as what was outside, I would not have had a problem. Simple as that.

So I think that's just something one should do - anytime they are about to film something with the fully sealed case, wherever they are, open the case up real quick to balance the same "air" inside and out. Seal it back up then go. From now on, I will always perform this step prior to filming.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's the nice thing about the basic "go pro hero" i have. No camera within a case to fog up :) Yet still water proof. Let it get use to the air and its good to go.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's the nice thing about the basic "go pro hero" i have. No camera within a case to fog up :) Yet still water proof. Let it get use to the air and its good to go.

That's what I have, the Hero 1 or Original Hero. Whatever it's called, the camera doesn't come out of the case from what I can tell so far.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

kb1982

Reaction score
Well I learned today about keeping the camera out of the wind line of the vehicle. I recorded nothing but wind noise after 20mph. I don't have any mounts yet so I just closed the base of the camera up in the sunroof, terrible placement for the mic.

Wind noise you say? What is this noise you speak of????
[video=youtube;Y8ME_jeojPc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ME_jeojPc[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online