gt40p spring help ASAP!

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Hey yall, Ive been trying to research this but cant find any good answers... Heres the deal. I was replacing a blown head gasket. Before i started, I was already looking for gt40 heads but got tired of waiting so i just decided to put the stock ones back on. While taking the intake off i snapped a bolt in the head so i have to find a shop to take it out. (ive tried everything i can and the ***** wont come out). So while the project is at a standstill ive decided to look for more gt40 heads. My neighbor has gt40p heads that he will sell to me for 300 dollars. He doesnt know what springs are in it but he says most likely stock. I know the gt40p springs suck too much to reuse but could I put the springs off my E7s on the gt40p heads and be fine? I dont really want to spend over 400 on this because for that money I can get gears and a nitrous set up and be quicker than with just heads. I have a stock cam btw...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
that's to much for P heads.
Usually non P heads are more popular because they don't require special headers. And that is why non p heads are cheaper.
$300 would be fine if they were already ck'd and assembled with upgraded springs.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
What would you say is a goods price? And should my stock springs be good to put in them?
Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
IDK. maybe $200. See what they're going for on c/l and ebey.

You can use you e-7 springs but they already have how many miles on them. IMO get new springs, retainers, seals and keepers.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ this. You should be more in the range of $200 for a stock set of P heads, and get new springs, etc like CC'S95GT said. You could re-use your E7 springs, and if money is SUPER tight, then do that. But when's the next time you are going to be replacing springs? Might as well save a little extra now and put new ones in. If you plan on swapping to different heads later on (aluminum or whatever), then use the E7's now and get stuff later with the new heads.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
I know that I should
replace them but I'm on a budget and was going to put the e7 heads back on the same way they came off. So I just need to know if I would have to worry about valve float if I put the springs on the gt40p heads.. It makes sense to me that it would be fine buy I'm new to learning about springs and valve type things :what:

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
And btw the springs were good prior to taking the heads off, I got on it tons of times and never had any problems.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't see both replies... But okay.. I don't know if I should get them or not.. what's a realistic gain in the 1/4 mile with these heads?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the gain in the 1/4 - from what I've been told and my research, the p heads will add about 20 to 30 hp, maybe. Do you know that the exhaust ports are in a different location on the p heads than on the normal gt40/E7? Your stock manifolds may work, but you'll almost certainly need new plug wires that have a 90 degree angle. The change in exhaust port height is due to Ford moving the spark plug location.

Your E7 springs will be fine. Valve float will probably start to happen around 6000 or so with the stock cam, give or take. You're power band won't change much with the gt40p, you'll just make a little more power. And it really is a little more, not a lot more.

RichV

Reaction score
Depending on the tope end and exhaust, the gain can be 20-50HP.

I got a set of GT40P heads with trickflow stg1 springs for $125, even rebuilt. But they did have 3 bent valves. So all in all, they cost me $200. Then I had to buy some different headers, 90* spark plug wires, a butload of heat insulation after I burned up a bunch of wires, now I'm good. But even at $200 I had to pay some more for supporting mods.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And ya I know about the headers, I already have 90 degree boots so im going to try to make the stock ones work!

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Well.... I bought them.. Is there anyway to tell if the springs are stock or not? They have 1.6 aluminum stud mount rockers on them already so I dont know... And btw, how the the hell do I remove the stud bolt to go back to the stock rocker arms? Theres no threads to unscrew them.. :what:

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well.... I bought them.. Is there anyway to tell if the springs are stock or not? They have 1.6 aluminum stud mount rockers on them already so I dont know... And btw, how the the hell do I remove the stud bolt to go back to the stock rocker arms? Theres no threads to unscrew them.. :what:

pics would help.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And ya I know about the headers, I already have 90 degree boots so im going to try to make the stock ones work!

Good luck. I tired that on my 89 an I had to get new headers. The guy I bought my 95 off of tried the same thing and that's why it has MAC headers that are designed for the p heads.

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, stock headers are temporary. I need to get the car running first. Then ill buy headers as soon as I can get it to my auto tech shop so I can get the header collector bolts broken loose! the guy I bought them told me I can have his equal length shorties for 100$ and they fit the p headers!

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
And ill post a picture later if I cant figure out how to remove that stud mount.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online