handbrake bracket not lining up

GT3FC

Reaction score
Alright ya'll I started with the center console build today and I ran into my first problem. after I pulled the center console out the handbrake brackets no longer line up with the mounting holes. it seems like the brake cable is too short for the assembly to move forward enough to line up right.

heres the rear hole:

and heres the front mounting hole:

anyone have any ideas or ever delt with something like this?
I dont really plan on putting it the center console back in for a while and I enjoy having a parking break haha any help would be much appreciated.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lift up yhe handle all the way, slide the console up, then forward, then up and over the handle. :)

anyways, you may need to search the cable to get it to realign.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'll probably need to get under the car to find out what's going on.

Put the car on jack stands and support the rear on the frame and under the axel to the rear end droops. That will give you more room to see the e-brake cables in the tunnel.
Maybe the cables moved slightly at the equalizer.
Also look at the cable that goes through the tunnel. over time it starts to wear out and start to frey. then SNAP. It's easier to replace it now then after everything back together.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
lift up yhe handle all the way, slide the console up, then forward, then up and over the handle. :)

anyways, you may need to search the cable to get it to realign.

I didnt have room to get the console out with the handle still bolted in....i even put some slight dents in my dash trying to take it out like that...

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I got mine out without unbolting hand brake.

Im thinking that there is some difference in the 2000's.....not sure though, only reason I say this is because the only write ups I could find for the 2002 said to unbolt the handbrake (you have bo idea how much of a dumba** I felt like for having to search on the internet how to pull the damn center console)

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Im thinking that there is some difference in the 2000's.....not sure though, only reason I say this is because the only write ups I could find for the 2002 said to unbolt the handbrake (you have bo idea how much of a dumba** I felt like for having to search on the internet how to pull the damn center console)

Maybe. I do know the new edge consoles are pretty much a direct swap with the 94-98's.
There was a bit of wrestling that had to be done to get it out. Mainly just moving the e-brake handle to the best position.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Maybe. I do know the new edge consoles are pretty much a direct swap with the 94-98's.
There was a bit of wrestling that had to be done to get it out. Mainly just moving the e-brake handle to the best position.

you are more than likley correct and I just trusted what I saw on the internet because you know, everything you see in the internet is true.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I got mine out with the hand brake attached. Well.... Kinda.... I kinda sorta hulked it and ripped it out of the floor board sooo there's one bolt holding it in. But I got it out!

Sounds like your cable is binding somewhere if you can't bring it up all the way. May have to unbolt it from the calipers and install it then go back and put the lines back on the calipers

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Alright so I was messing with it getting under the car and tracing back the brake line and we'll the chunk of metal that is welded to the bottom of the body with the threads for the front mounting bolt fell out.......it just fell out...so now I have a new problem along with the problem of the brackets not lining up

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Yea o know it's not a big problem it's just a "did that really just happen" kind of moment and of course it happened when one of my Chevy friends was in the car haha

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
But I don't know where to even look now I spent a good 3 hours in the driveway looking at it and everything seems to be straight and nothing bound up.
My neighbor was saying I might have unbolted the brake while it was engaged. Honestly I don't remember if it was set or not when I pulled it off. Assuming this is the problem how would I fix it? (The car will still roll freely at stoplights in neutral which leads me to believe that the brake is not engaged)

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
Alright I know this is pretty much a dead thread but just in case anyone makes the same stupid mistake I did I will try and help you out here. I unbolted and took off the bracket that holds the ratcheting mechanism which released all the tension in the brake line. Not knowing that I did this I just bolted the seemingly useless piece of metal back onto the assembly which caused the teeth on the ratcheting mechanism to be locked all the way back causing the brackets to not line up correctly.

If by any chance anyone else makes the same mistake I did and stumbles upon this problem hopefully you can understand my vague description above. DOubtful but if anyone runs into this problem ans needs some help feel free to PM me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.