Hanging rpm's 4.6

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I've just recently completed a bullitt intake swap as well as a egr delete on my 2000 gt. She runs good but I'm having a problem with the rpms sticking anywhere between 2000 to 3500 after a drive or a tap on the gas pedal. I've replaced the iac and the tps with no improvement in the issue. There are moments when it does behave and not stick but they are extremely rare. This is driving me nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated[emoji24]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Yea I haven't been able to get a hold of a programmer to do it yet

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Most likely the problem then. Get it tuned out. Let the tuner know exactly what you did or didnt do. They should be able to coach you more.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Most likely the problem then. Get it tuned out. Let the tuner know exactly what you did or didnt do. They should be able to coach you more.
I really didn't think it would cause issues. I'll definitely get it tuned

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Ok I've got the egr tuned out. Still have the hanging high rpm issue. I've checked for vacuum leaks with none found. Im lost

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Also if I un plug the iac while the rpm's are up and hanging it instantly idles perfect

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I got the iac from Oreilly's. I've really looked into the iac restrictor and I am considering it if all else fails. I've just noticed that if the car is at a standstill after start up warm or cold you can give it all kinds of gas and will come back to idle relatively easy but as soon as you out it in gear and give it gas it'll start to hang. Btw the car is a 5 speed. Another thing I've just noticed is that if you pinch the pcv hose coming off passenger valve cover the car will just about stall out. Is this normal or a sign of a leak?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You should definitely do the IAC mod. SN90FiveOh just went through this whole deal on his new 2v and he ended up fining a spare cam cover grommet from where they bolt down and he put inside the inlet for the iac and the hose fit perfectly over the other side. Ill see if I can get him to put some pictures up.

Also, where did you get it tuned? Was it local or email? 96blak54 is on to something with the tune I think, because a local tuner on a dyno will be able to correct the hanging rpm.

Last thing, when you deleted the egr what did you do with the vacuum lines? and did you cap off the header? An exhaust leak will act like a vacuum leak too.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
You should definitely do the IAC mod. [MENTION=20223]SN90FiveOh[/MENTION] just went through this whole deal on his new 2v and he ended up fining a spare cam cover grommet from where they bolt down and he put inside the inlet for the iac and the hose fit perfectly over the other side. Ill see if I can get him to put some pictures up.

Also, where did you get it tuned? Was it local or email? [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION] is on to something with the tune I think, because a local tuner on a dyno will be able to correct the hanging rpm.

Last thing, when you deleted the iac what did you do with the vacuum lines? and did you cap off the header? An exhaust leak will act like a vacuum leak too.
I ended up tuning the egr off with a sct Handheld. Witch helped some with the hanging idle. I can actually tap the gas and it will idle down most of the time now. I ended up re routing all the vacuum lines, deleting a majority of them and capping the egr at the header and intake manifold

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
If you put the tapered side of the valve cover grommet into the IAC port then the hose just slides over it. Takes the inlet size down from ~5/8 to ~5/16

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
If you put the tapered side of the valve cover grommet into the IAC port then the hose just slides over it. Takes the inlet size down from ~5/8 to ~5/16
I just did this and it definitely helped. Doesn't idle up past 1500 but still idles a little high

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I just did a quick test on the tps voltage and I'm getting .12v at idle and 1.01v at wot. Just about the same numbers I got with the previous tps. Would that be an issue?

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I just put a brand new set of coils ngk plugs and modded the tps to where I could adjust it. All I can say is she is running like a top now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online