has anyone successfully cut the stock mufflers off and clamped in new?

dwcopple

Reaction score
I measured my '98 GT today and the outlet is 2.25" but the inlet tapers down to 2.11" before entering the stock muffler. Has anyone successfully cut the stock mufflers off flush and successfully clamped in an offset/offset 2.25" muffler? do the clamps crush the inlet enough to form a good seal there? Shops around here want $115+ to do it and if I can get away with clamps, I'll do it myself for pennies.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
It's not a daily driver. Just a toy car for me.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Haven’t done it with my mustang but have with several trucks in past. It’ll work just fine with cheap stuff but spend a little extra for stainless hardware.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
this car will never see rain or snow

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
So I might pull the H pipe when cutting off the mufflers and weld the front and clamp the rear.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
so, I stopped by a shop that quoted me $50 per side on the phone but when they saw it on the lift, it suddenly changed to $80 per because "the hanger is welded to the stock muffler so I'd need to torch that off and reweld it to the new ones". They also said because the tailpipe bend happens so quickly after the muffler that it would be impossible to clamp it there. Said the whole thing needed to be welded. I told em no thanks and left. Now I am unsure what to do.

I could cut the lead pipes to the mufflers and add in a section of 2-1/4 pipe with the mufflers welded to the extension and just dump after the mufflers and fab my own hangers but not sure I'd like dumps in a convertible. I wish there were a decently cheap cat back for these cars. It seems everything is $500+. I don't get how Dynomax or Summit never made an aluminized cat-back like they did for other cars for $225-250ish.

:mad::mad::mad:

07GtS197

Reaction score
I know you dont really want to spend a lot of money but, for what its worth, I bought flow tubes, mufflers and walker tailpipes separately for my 02 gt for less than a cat back would be. Also the mufflers are clamped in with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Yep. I just learned about those last night. Ordering the flow tubes today

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Flowtubes ordered $42 shipped off RockAuto
Turndowns and clamps ordered off Advance for $22
I have split flanges already to mount it all up. I will try to make the tailpipes work before I go with turndowns but we will see if it works. If not, a dumping I will go. I plan to cut the stock hanger off the rear of the OEM mufflers and weld it onto the Thrush mufflers I have. If that doesn't work, I'll weld a hanger to the clamp that I'll use on the rear of the new muffler.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ya know I was assuming this whole time you did not know how or have access to welding it yourself.....

07GtS197

Reaction score
I have m80s and theyre not welded but then again theyre not as heavy as a chambered design.

Do you mind having a really bassy exhaust thatll rattle your change around or do you like the distinct sn95 v8 sound? That should dictate whether to go dumps or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Does it matter if the tips point down or angled 45° to the sides? Sound change?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online