HCI swap.. EGR delete. Helppp

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Doing a HCI swap on the 95.. Deleting the EGR system completely. I picked up an egr blockoff plate for the upper intake, and I'll get a plug for my header.. Now my question is, deleting the EGR will throw a CEL and make it run like shit? I've heard mixed opinions on this. However I'd like input from people who've actually done it. I cannot get a tune locally... Nobody will touch the car because it's OBD-I. I will not accept a CEL and shitty driveability. The EGR has no business being on the motor at this point, so I'm not keeping it.. Some people have gotten away with the blockoff plate and plug. But some don't... Input?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Leave the EGR plugged up and it won't throw a code. You can pull it off the intake and hide it if removing it for looks is your concern but without having it tuned for it to not be there, it'll have to be plugged up to not throw a code. The only thing the computer looks at is that it's there. Plugging the exhaust is easy too, cut the EGR tube, use the cap off of it with a penny in it. Done. Fits perfect.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Leave the EGR plugged up and it won't throw a code. You can pull it off the intake and hide it if removing it for looks is your concern but without having it tuned for it to not be there, it'll have to be plugged up to not throw a code. The only thing the computer looks at is that it's there. Plugging the exhaust is easy too, cut the EGR tube, use the cap off of it with a penny in it. Done. Fits perfect.

Hmmmmmmmmm. So basically just mount the egr else where. Good idea. Yeah I had the exhaust plugged awhile ago. Honestly I think I might be better off leaving it on until I can find someone to turn it off in a tune.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Damn I literally just shipped out the egr tube.. If I leave the egr valve hooked up and plugged in, but no tube, should be alright no?

lutter94

Reaction score
The car will run fine with no egr. Mine has none, and the stock tune. CEL removed via SCT 5500B chip and a $20 flash at a tuner. Drove with a cel forever though......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Took mine off. Had Adder burn me a chip that eliminated the problem and made it run a lot better than it ever had!!!!

Pm him and he can discuss it with you.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had the EGR valve hooked up on my 94, with the tube cut off and the exhaust port blocked off with a penny. I mounted a plate between the valve and intake to avoid any vacuum leaks and to keep the valve plugged up but basically non-functional. I'm not sure if you could leave it on the intake with the tube unhooked, would seem to be a vacuum leak? But been awhile since I did it, and I was airing on the safe side. I had no smog pump, and the rear ports on the E7s were plugged. I was planning to wire tuck the engine bay and have the EGR and what not removed entirely with a tune but didn't keep the car long enough. EGR should make no noticeable real difference in the motor.

lutter94

Reaction score
You should be able to leave it on the intake with the vacuum lines unattached, it shouldn't function.

jct404

Reaction score
I deleted the EGR on my 95 after doing the HCI w/ long tubes and had issues with it running correctly. I plugged the EGR back in and it made no difference, adjusted the the rod in the EGR to different positions and still nothing changed. So after a couple of weeks of monkeying around with it, I did a little research on what the EGR's does, basically the EGR sends low voltage signal (based on the position of the rod which is created by exhaust pressure) to the computer and the computer adjusts from that signal. This voltage signal is virtually the same as what the TPS give out to the computer, so this is what I did... I kept the EGR sensor plugged in and jumped a wire over from the TPS's voltage output wire, in essence mirroring the voltage signal. The only problem I have now is when it's cold outside (20's or lower) it will run funny until it reaches operating temp other than that it runs great. I've ran it like this for a few months now and do plan on getting a Moates set-up this Spring... but in the meantime for those who have issues after deleting the EGR this worked for me.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I deleted the EGR on my 95 after doing the HCI w/ long tubes and had issues with it running correctly. I plugged the EGR back in and it made no difference, adjusted the the rod in the EGR to different positions and still nothing changed. So after a couple of weeks of monkeying around with it, I did a little research on what the EGR's does, basically the EGR sends low voltage signal (based on the position of the rod which is created by exhaust pressure) to the computer and the computer adjusts from that signal. This voltage signal is virtually the same as what the TPS give out to the computer, so this is what I did... I kept the EGR sensor plugged in and jumped a wire over from the TPS's voltage output wire, in essence mirroring the voltage signal. The only problem I have now is when it's cold outside (20's or lower) it will run funny until it reaches operating temp other than that it runs great. I've ran it like this for a few months now and do plan on getting a Moates set-up this Spring... but in the meantime for those who have issues after deleting the EGR this worked for me.

Sounds about right. So hopefully my simulator plug will do that.. Its supposed to act as if the egr valve it still hooked up. $20 was worth it to see if it works. Problem is nobody locally will tune my car because its a 95 (OBD-I) so I'll have to travel out of state or the city for it.

Addermk2

Reaction score
TBH... you should just leave the EGR in place.

It's really not worth taking it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.