Headers

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been brought up a million gazillion times, but I'm bringing it up again lol.

Since I'm replacing my heads (for those that don't know spark plug shot out and stripped the threads), I'm thinking the easiest way to remove them will be to disconnect the x pipe right at the straight pipe and lift the heads out with the top part of the x connected. But since I'm going through all that trouble... Why not do the headers now right? I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do them right away, or just wait till I get a new shortblock, but toss some ideas at me guys

I've got a Bassani X with removable cats, which are gone of course lol I just need them for e-check. So with that being said, I have no desire to change X pipes. With running that, what headers would be a good option? Shorty's, LT's doesn't really matter I guess, just as long as it passes e-check and I can hook it up to my Bassani.

Like I said I might just wait till I get my shortblock, which is wayyyyy off in the distance at this point lol, but to have headers planned out now will save me some time and effort later should I decide to wait.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Have you looked into a bassani midlength? Will bolt right up to your x pipe and still allow you to swap the cats in when needed. Giving you better performance than a shorty but not quite long tube power. But removing the trans is easy and ground clearance is good.

ProKiller

Reaction score
you can't use a longtube with your existing x-pipe. go get some shorties and be done with it.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea just run shortys. It's a fun task taking the heads off modulars in the engine bay. But totally doable . I just always drop the k member now because I have the means to do so. I've never tried bolting headers to the heads and dropping them in from the top. It seems like a slim chance in hell that it will be doable. But yea I would for sure get some headers

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Bigbore I have in fact considered mid lengths, the only thing that kills me about them is the price. I thought the X pipe was expensive being stainless, man those things are more expensive than that! I may do those down the road tho not entirely sure. I realize there still cheap in comparison to like JBA or Kooks but still lol

Guys what kinda shorties would you run?

BigBore96

Reaction score
Mid lengths are pretty commonly in classifieds all over the net. I picked my set up for my 4v with the matcing stainless x pipe for $300. As far as shorties, I'd go with whatever you can find cheapest. Won't make too much of a difference being shorties.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Wow really? Maybe I should start checking craigs out a little more often and other sites classifieds as well

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'd just leave it if you aren't going longtubes. Manifolds on the modulars do not suck like the 5.0 stockers do.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Well seeing as I can't run longtubes with my x pipe unfortunately... But Bigbore brought up a good option. The Bassani mid-lengths. If I can snag a set of those.. It would be perfect. Performance gains and no worries about ground clearance. I do think a set of shortie's wouldn't be a bad thing tho. I mean having a little bit of tubing must be better than the 0 tubing you have with manifolds?