headlights flicker. where do i start?

ryno

Reaction score
new guy here. i tried searching for the answers but i have a few things going on and not sure where to start.
my headlights flicker while driving. i know. check the switches, but my battery light flickers too.
battery has 12.9v off and 14.8 idling. so at first look everything is working correct.
what would be causing the battery light to flicker? bad alternator, battery or grounds?
it's not rough road because it will do it idling sometimes.
volt gauge is a little bouncy around 15 volts but never seen it dip much.
no issues with dash lighting that I noticed.
this is my first sn95 and i just bought it last week so i am not real familiar with it yet.
any help is appreciated.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you swapped for led/hid? Voltages sound good if I were you I would turn the lights on and then go and dick with all the wiring behind the lights. Now "dick" is of course the technical term and by that I mean grab the wiring and push/pull/bend it until you get the lights to turn off. I would actually start with technical taps by thumping on the lights with your fingers and then knuckles first and see if you can get them to flicker.

OP
OP
R

ryno

Reaction score
no headlight upgrades. car seems bone stock aside from head unit and flowmasters.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
could be the switch or a bad ground. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS start with the connections and grounds. Like I said thump the lights a few times and then dick with the wiring and see if they flicker.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Whoa 15 volts? That sounds a little high. If its not a flaky connection I would bet its the voltage regulator. My 02 gt charges around 13.8v or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ryno

Reaction score
I know the headlight switch gets hot but that thing almost burned me while troubleshooting yesterday. Will relays eliminate that heat on the circuit?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well maybe. If there is resistance in the connection it can still build heat but relays will help if done right. have we checked the connection at the harness? It might be best to replace it first rather than add relays

OP
OP
R

ryno

Reaction score
The wires look ok, but the connector has heat damage. I sanded the headlight grounds and I'm going to replace the negative battery cable.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
start with that and I would probably replace the harness before adding relays myself. A bad connection is not going to get better just because it has less current going through it.

OP
OP
R

ryno

Reaction score
I saw autozone had a replacement pigtail. Are replacement harnesses available?

OP
OP
R

ryno

Reaction score
I thought i would have worked on it more, but life has other plans for me this week. Thanks for the input. I will update with the fix if i figure it out. I hate following a thread where they never tell you what worked. Lol.

OP
OP
R

ryno

Reaction score
got to work on it today. new battery cable fixed it. no more flicker and the gauge holds steady. thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online