Help with GT40P and cam selection

GeeTeeFiveOh

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been running an E-303 cam for a couple years. It felt pretty good but never made it to a dyno. My car decided that it was time for me to rethink the cam thing ( h clip popped off lifters which ate a lifter and the cam .)

I'm looking for something more aggressive that will produce more power but still be reasonable for my daily highway commute with my 2:73 gears. I've looked at the Anderson B-31, N-41 and N-412 cams and can't make up my mind yet. There is a guy over on EECTUNING that makes 310 RWHP on an untouched gt40p explorer longblock with a typhoon intake B-21 cam and supporting valve train. Those are the kind of results I'm aiming for.

My GT40p's have stock sized valves with a nice 3 angle valve job, good bowl work and a decent porting using a flow bench. This was done by a very reputable local machinist. I wish I had the full specs but I lost it all years ago. I'm running 1.6 FRPP RR's and upgraded valve springs (dont remember specs but I was told they are plenty stiff for an E303) The rest of the pertinent motor details should be in my signature.

How much lift / duration can I get away with these heads on a 93 shortblock ? Will valve springs that work good with an E303 be fine to use on the cams I have been looking at? Any other considerations or suggestions? I don't want to order a cam and find out that I dont have piston to valve clearance etc etc. I'm leaning towards the B-31 since its similar to the B-21 using my 1.6 RR. Its got a bit over .540 lift tho

Thanks !!

chris91

Reaction score
If you want the most out of your setup go with a custom cam done by Ed Curtis @ Flotech. You wont get better results from a off the shelf cam.

OP
OP
GeeTeeFiveOh

GeeTeeFiveOh

Reaction score
I've contacted flowtec but I'm a little reluctant here having not heard back from them yet. I want to get my car back up and running again asap and I cant wait weeks for a new cam to be ground for me. I will explore the custom cam route but timing is important. Can anyone suggest a cam for my application or provide me with the limits of my combo in terms of cam lift and duration etc?

Addermk2

Reaction score
I've contacted flowtec but I'm a little reluctant here having not heard back from them yet.

Ed has been taking an unusually long amount of time responding to messages. I'm almost a little worried. Give him some time, as this is likely the busiest part of his year.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I sent him a PM over on Corral about that MGW shifter and did not hear anything back, no biggie I know hes busy this time of yr anyway.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I sent him a PM over on Corral about that MGW shifter and did not hear anything back, no biggie I know hes busy this time of yr anyway.

Idk what the hell his deal is, but he has my TR-3550 and was supposed to order me a set of heads. The least he could do is acknowledge me and answer my messages.

It's starting to look like a JY 302 might be making its way into my car soon.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I didn't care to much about a reply back on the MGW shifter since its something that can wait and I want to get other stuff first anyway ( like a new helmet ) but waiting on a new set of heads is a little different.

OP
OP
GeeTeeFiveOh

GeeTeeFiveOh

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up deciding to go with the n41, I think it will perform well. Do you think I need to check ptv clearance? 222/230 .512" intake and exhaust 110 lsa 106 icl. I'll be ordering a pushrod length checker

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Lol... yeah... also I hope that he is going to properly measure for pushrod length with the new cam. You always always ALWAYS check for PTV. Well unless you want to risk grenading your motor on startup because you are too lazy to learn to check PTV.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Youtube is your friend. I did not know how to check my push rod length or how to check PVC until I looked up up then did it.

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
I will be running a gt40p heads heavy port work and large valves (buddy is a machinist so i got it all dirt cheap) ported upper and lower gt40 intake and a trickflow stage one cam. Already to go in in about the next week or two and i can help ya out

Warning : TO MUCH AWESOME

Addermk2

Reaction score
Little baby cams... So cute.

Comp XE276hr

95opal

Reaction score
Street use man i dont have money to build a motor around a cam

Warning : TO MUCH AWESOME

street use has nothing to do with money...and building a motor around a cam is @ss backwards. Cam selection should be based on H,I, inteded use and operating range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online