HEMI powered stang

HemiStang

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I have loved mustang's since the first time I rode in one at 5years old. I'm thinking of a build and never owned one before. I'm a huge mopar guy and am thinking of building a 5.7 hemi and swapping it into a sn95, anyone on here heard of that before or done it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen ls swaps, viper v10 swaps, Mitsubishi turbo swap, and even a Supra 2jz turbo swap that even met California smog and got street certified.

But I can’t say I’ve ever seen a hemi swapped stang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HemiStang

Reaction score
I’ve seen ls swaps, viper v10 swaps, Mitsubishi turbo swap, and even a Supra 2jz turbo swap that even met California smog and got street certified.

Ever heard of it being done? I've seen a hemi in a foxbody

Overboost

Reaction score

thats because modern hemi's are complete garbage....

stands to reason

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They’re not anywhere near the same quality and strength as the old school hemi’s.

They can make a lot of power but they’re also known for not lasting. Dodge never really cared about longevity. Ask any viper owner why they always sold them at 80k, it’s right about the time the motors were ready to fall apart.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Personally I'd go with the 6.1 over the 5.7.

I guess peoples definition of garbage is different. Last I checked my buddy was at 230k on his 07 Charger. That includes a few bottles of nitrous through it as well as just being mean to it. He enjoys burnouts and going fast. He's been contemplating upping the shot since I went with the Whipple.

All that being said, if you want a hemi, get a Mopar. Just my opinion of course. I've never been a fan of crossbreeding.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
230k on a hemi is pretty crazy. But people use to say the same about fords and I’ve seen plenty of 302’s with 500k or more on them while pretty much still original.

One of my customers owns a biz that salvages totaled vipers and other mopar’s. He talks about the lack of longevity as well. Dude also collects the occasional Porsche GT3 and Ferrari as well so I’d say his taste are a little mixed.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
230k on a hemi is pretty crazy. But people use to say the same about fords and I’ve seen plenty of 302’s with 500k or more on them while pretty much still original.

One of my customers owns a biz that salvages totaled vipers and other mopar’s. He talks about the lack of longevity as well. Dude also collects the occasional Porsche GT3 and Ferrari as well so I’d say his taste are a little mixed.

A lot of people are surprised when he says it. I'm sure it's not as spry as it was at 80k when he bought it. But it still does ok.

Kinda hard to talk about longevity when most of the cars you deal with are wrecked IMO. All of the fancy cars around here are just toys. So 80k would take a couple decades to reach. There is one guy that pops up that has a GTS with all sorts of suspension work. That one has seen the track and has the scars to prove it.

OP
OP
H

HemiStang

Reaction score
The may not be as stout as the old school hemi, with that said I'm on my 3rd truck with a hemi, combined probably close to 425000 miles between all 3 and they have been hands down the best engines I've ran, I've owned Ford 302,460, and 6.0 powerstroke, Chevy 350, 5.3 vortec, 5.7 hemi, 5.2 magnum, pentastar V6 and 5.9 Cummins. Maintenance is huge as with anything mechanical. I love the ford motors, my only reason behind putting a hemi in a stang is cause it's unique and imo LS swaps are overrated

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
A 4.6 or 5.4 DOHC are a hemi designed engine with the spark plugs at the top of valve cover

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people are surprised when he says it. I'm sure it's not as spry as it was at 80k when he bought it. But it still does ok.

Kinda hard to talk about longevity when most of the cars you deal with are wrecked IMO. All of the fancy cars around here are just toys. So 80k would take a couple decades to reach. There is one guy that pops up that has a GTS with all sorts of suspension work. That one has seen the track and has the scars to prove it.

Actually if you search on the web you can always find good deals on older used vipers that haven’t been wrecked and guess what, 80k miles is almost always the magic number. My buddy doesn’t just deal in wrecked vipers. That’s how the business makes it main money but he wheels and deals on everything with a viper v10.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Actually if you search on the web you can always find good deals on older used vipers that haven’t been wrecked and guess what, 80k miles is almost always the magic number. My buddy doesn’t just deal in wrecked vipers. That’s how the business makes it main money but he wheels and deals on everything with a viper v10.

I skimmed earlier this year as I was thinking about getting rid of the Cobra and guess what? They all were low mileage. Like under 30k miles low. Maybe it's just the area I'm in.

But then it also depends on what you consider a good deal.

Anyway, I can tell this isn't going to go anywhere. Good luck in your project OP.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Patientzero

Reaction score
What's wrong with modern hemi engines in your opinion?
Heavy, bulky, expensive, poor valve train geometry, just to name a few. From my understanding they were originally a Mercedes OHC that Dodge(Fiat) converted to OHV. There are compromises. Then you run into the problem of needing a transmission to work behind. You could likely use some expensive adapter to use a T5 but I haven't researched it.

With that said, it's not a bad motor. I just don't think you're gaining much other than being "unique".

I swapped one into a 69 Duster with a Megasquirt MS3 and tuned one in a Roadrunner.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome. It’s your money so let’s see what you can do with it. Start a build thread and keep us posted.

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Neat idea, I have personally know several folks who have 5.7 Hemi engines over 200K with no issues. I think the early ones suffered some valve issues but shoot its made Wards 10 best engines list a few times and its been around for closing in on 20 years so there is a lot of history. That being said you can probably find one in a yard for a reasonable price and it can't be much wider than the 4.6 which is a huge little motor. Get a T6060 to go behind it and you'd have 6 gears to play with and monster torque. Sounds like a fun idea. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online