Hood pad/insulation

joemomma

Reaction score
Painter said it would be good if we could find a new hood insulation pad. With the hood being aftermarket/fiberglass and unknown brand, all the kits I'm seeing are for stock hoods (and are hella pricey). Looks like a lot of the kits are just dynamat-type material. In fact, Dynamat even sells kits for under hood. Think something like this would work? I'm just trying to cover the larger "flat" areas so he doesn't have to spend a ton of time getting it slick before paint.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure if its true but I read once the hood blanket was made to hopefully put out a fire if there was one? The plastic pins that hold it were supposed to melt and it was supposed to fall down and hopefully smother it.

Dynomat is selling a noise barrier and I think they make one that is a heat barrier as well but if it really is supposed to do what I read, dynomat isn't made for that.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah the dynomat stuff is just going to cut down on heat/noise/vibration through the hood, it is supposed to help protect the paint from engine but but I don't know. It would likely just melt in the event of a fire.
What would I make it from? I'm only doing it to save some labor cost with prepping the hood underside for paint. Although, in the grand scheme it likely won't make much difference in cost. He said he is still going to slick it up before paint so there's that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the ford mats are not that bad as they often have a mustang embossed in them. I would start with one of those myself.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i took all of mine off , the pad on my friends car caught fire from the power steering fluid
seen that and took them off took them to the dump , i thought they were to be fire proof .
but when oil gets on them become a Firey tampon

Pallgor

Reaction score
Underneath of the hood should be edged in first. I would think

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I think that means painted first? If so, he's going to paint it. I was just going to try to save him some work in prepping the fiberglass. It's fairly smooth as it is since it has been painted before.

Pallgor

Reaction score
Yes. The underneath of the new hood needs to be painted the (color of the car)before the pad is installed

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
not sure if its true but I read once the hood blanket was made to hopefully put out a fire if there was one? The plastic pins that hold it were supposed to melt and it was supposed to fall down and hopefully smother it.

Dynomat is selling a noise barrier and I think they make one that is a heat barrier as well but if it really is supposed to do what I read, dynomat isn't made for that.

Originally yea that was what it was meant for from what I remember. But it does not work haha. It just lights on fire even more.

Suek

Reaction score
Summit. JEGS, and Speedway have heat protective material. No way with the sound deadening stuff. It will smell and I bet loosen.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would not use cheap sound damping in that location by any means and you would need to prep the area really well.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The underside of the hood shouldn't be left just in gel coat, regardless. If it's a good-quality fiberglass hood, have him spend an extra 30 minutes sanding, shoot it with base and clear, then enjoy the nice, finished look every time you have the hood up. It will be worth the extra minimal time and expense. (This is what I did with my Cervinis hood on my old '87.)

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
yeah he will def prep/paint it. I was just going to throw some of this on there to save a little bit, but it sounds like it may not be worth it in the end.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The time, money, and effort to drill the hood, procure fasteners, and buy/install the insulation panel will be far better spent making it smooth and pretty.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
He said it slicked up pretty good when I talked to him yesterday. Should be getting paint today if all goes well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.