Horizontal/Vertical Taillights Question

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
Before I start, if this all comes across a bit confusing, I do apologize in advance.... it's all workin in my head as I type this out lol.

Now onto my ideas and questions. I'll start by sayin... is it possible to mix the horizontal tail lights with the verticals? By that I mean, is it possible to take the Horizontal face and lens off the housing, and put it onto the vertical housing? Has anyone tried this?

I know the Horizontals dont have a removable bezel, and the vericals do, but I'm not talkin about bezels, im pretty much meaning cuttin off the whole face of either and swapping the horizontal face onto the vertical housing. That way I'd be able to have the horizontal look, with the vertical functionality, best of both worlds. I know this would be a lot of work, and would be probably just make more sense to just swap tail lights, but I want something completely unique and different.

Like I said, pretty much thinking this up as I type... so... EXPERTS.... is this even slightly plausible? Even a little bit?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ttocs will likely be the expert here to talk to

I think it could be possible with a lot of work, but i think it would look weird. Not sure though

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
I'm honestly sittin here and tryin to picture it, and i'm just not entirely sure lol. I cant think of ever seeing it done before. I just think it would be someting unique, or possible really weird lol. Maybe ttocs will chime in?

On a side note... HOLY ORANGE MUSTANG BATMAN!!!! That is a BEAUTIFUL car!!!!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm honestly sittin here and tryin to picture it, and i'm just not entirely sure lol. I cant think of ever seeing it done before. I just think it would be someting unique, or possible really weird lol. Maybe ttocs will chime in?

On a side note... HOLY ORANGE MUSTANG BATMAN!!!! That is a BEAUTIFUL car!!!!

Thank you! and ttocs should be able to help. Hes played around with a few taillight ideas and hes the man for electronic and really custom stuff.

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
Fair enough lol. Not reallly in a hurry or anything, I'm just brainstormin. I see too many SNs that just simply swap tails... I like being different, in case ya cant tell by the Steelies haha

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough lol. Not reallly in a hurry or anything, I'm just brainstormin. I see too many SNs that just simply swap tails... I like being different, in case ya cant tell by the Steelies haha

I do like your idea, i love horizontals but wish i could do sequentials...

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
That's kinda my thought process behind this whole zaney scheme lol. I really think the Horizontals go with the early SN a lot better, and in my head, this would be the only way to really have true sequentials with the horizontals lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
23954204130_large.jpg

Forgive the hazy-ness of the lenses they were scratched and need to be polished/tinted. I cut the back off, inserted 200 leds and then put it back together. There is actually 4 different sets of lights, the tail light leds are hidden behind the painted sections and shine onto the reflector rather then directly out. Ideally with the turn signal I would like to flash the tail lights first, then the strip lights in some kind of 4-way sequence.

With enough glue/epoxy you can put anything onto anything but as far as an easy/cheap way no, not that I know of. Only did th one light, still need to finish the passenger side...

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
Well have you ever cut into the newer lights? Or looked very close at them? Do you know if the backs of them would line up with the face of the earlier lights? That in retrospect sounds like a dumb question lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have not looked at the back of the newer style but I have looked at the back at these more then most. judging by the way they are seperated to match the lenses I would have to say that it would not match up with this style. I had to cut out the divider that seperated the bottom lense in order to let all the light through, otherwise the top two lenses have a bit of a bubble to them around the two lights that are up there but matching up an old lense to a new back would be alot more work then what I did.

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
Hmm... looks like either way if I decide to do this its gonna be a bit of a pain isn't it? is there a way of just removing the face without cutting into the actual housing? Like I had an Envoy and the lens for the tail lights were sealed to the housing with a type of epoxy. Are these the same way or do I HAVE to part of the housing to remove lens?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried them in the oven to seperate them first and it didn't budge at all. There is some kind of epoxy in there but its pretty solid.

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
Well I just found your thread on your LED set up and found how you cut yours... I imagine the Vert dividers would cause about the same problem as your did just in different spots. Do you have any pics of your housingb without the lens from when you were doin your build?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have pics of it all would need to dig them out. What are you wanting though as there really wasn't anything on the back reflector they were all mounted to the lense.

OP
OP
ForceRECON2010

ForceRECON2010

Reaction score
Basically a pic of the bare housing, not really where the LEDs are, but a pic of the bare housing (reflector bit) so i cant see exactly where the dividers for are in the factor housings of the horizontals. That way I can kinda do a little bit of lookin around at the verts and see how far off the dividors are in comparison.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just looked back through them and suprised to say I can't find any pics of it. Will dig a little deeper but unless you tinted them to the point they were black it would look strange. But then I also think that the newer style sequencial lights would look strange with horozontal lights as well. Not even sure my way will not look too wierd though just been too busy to do the other light and get them painted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99