How do I take off this ugly window tint & ugly go faster stripes?

Rizkit32

Reaction score
Hey guys, when I bought my car, it came with this absolutely horrid purple window tint that is peeling and bubbling to the point that its obstructing my vision. It needs to go. As for the go faster stripes, they're cracking and faded and in my opinion just look terrible alltogether. Its a sticker, but iit's on there good and I'm not really sure how to take those off either. Anybody got some good methods? :grin:

Ugly tint

Go faster stripes

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] had a good way to pull it off..i don't remember what he said or what the thread was but hopefully he'll pop in here and give a say

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
window tint- vinegar or ammonia. I forgot which. hopefully someone will verify.

stripes-heat gun since those are really wide. Also 3M makes an erasure wheel that's great for removing stripes and doesn't harm the paint. be careful with the heatgun that you don't melt the paint

Burninrock24

Reaction score
If you spray an ammonia mix on the tint and let it sit in the sun, the ammonia breaks down and will put itself between the tint and the glass, and you can get it off that way. I've done it and it works.

Not sure on the stripes. We just use razor blades to take off our vinyls on our track car, but that doesn't do the paint any favors lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was going to suggest to use a towel or something to absorb the extra ammonia as if you have vinyl on your door(like I do on my 94) the ammonia could brake that down as well.

Bub

Reaction score
There are tint removing sprays u can get at local auto stores. Just grab a corner maybe use low heat from a hair dryer (too much itll just tear) your stripes same way pull slowly apply heat and clay the adhesive and youll probably need to buff the area,when done

Sent From Tapatalk Between shifts

jwhisl

Reaction score
With the window tint, highest concentration rubbing alcohol (95% or higher) will take care of the glue after you get it off. Hit both with a heat gun.

chris91

Reaction score
I always just rip the tint off and then hit the glue with Lacquer Thinner. Just use it liberally because you dont want it running down your plastic panels. It gets it off better than anything I've tried and I've tried them all. But be careful when ripping the stuff off the back window because you'll take your defroster lines with it. Just heat the rear up with a hair dryer or heat gun and peel slowly.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always just rip the tint off and then hit the glue with Lacquer Thinner. Just use it liberally because you dont want it running down your plastic panels. It gets it off better than anything I've tried and I've tried them all. But be careful when ripping the stuff off the back window because you'll take your defroster lines with it. Just heat the rear up with a hair dryer or heat gun and peel slowly.

that's what a PO did to my rear window. It looks like the defroster lines are there and there is Pwr to both sides of the window but the wires don't heat up.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you only need to break the connection in one or two sensitive areas before the grid will not work.

95ESGT

Reaction score
Mix ammonia and water in a spray bottle, tape plastic over all surrounding areas to kepp the mist off them.
Spray the mix on the window, take a black trash bag and smooth over window. Park the car in sunlight for a couple of hours, tint will pull off easy by hand, repeat for any stubborn parts.
This keeps the lines from being scrapped, there is a thin layer of conductive material that transfer the heat, when scrapped it will come off easy. A repair kit was available a few years ago, basiclly you painted the conductive line back on.

RichV

Reaction score
^ This is what I did with great results. I tried it all ... except a stick of dynamite. Never got to that method. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online