How do salvaged title cars make you feel?

RichV

Reaction score
A car is metal, plastic, drivetrain, electronics, etc. Anything can be fixed and have almost no evidence of it. The questions is why is it salvaged, and how was it repaired to bring it back on the road. Just for safety's sake.

You may not be able to fully cover the vehicle on your insurance, liability you should be able to get. You will not be able to get a loan, if that's the route you're going. Resale will be half of a non-savaged.

So knowing all of that, I would definitely never pay top dollar. Half of non salvaged in the same condition. My .02 anyway.

bluex

Reaction score
The older vehicles get the less damage it takes to total one an get a salvage title. On an older car it could be nothing more than a fender bender. I wouldn't buy a car within a few years of new that was salvage because you'd know that extensive repairs were done. An older car as long as it was repaired correctly an drove straight I wouldn't see an issue picking it up.

Jgehret

Reaction score
Keep this in mind guys. Hagerty classic insurance will cover a r title car. No difference in coverage. No, I'm not a rep for them. Just extending my pleasant experience

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
My 95' is on a salvaged title with documented pictures from a small front end collision (no frame damage but damage to the bumper and hood as pictured) from the original owner before we got in like 02 or 03' (been in the family ever since) which was fixed properly through a reputable body shop with receipts.

So with those facts, the two owner history, adult driven all its life with the exception of me (I drive it like an adult), and documentation, how would you feel about buying my car for near regular clear blue title price?

Personally, in my eyes, it does make the car less to me, as the buyer and/or owner. But the above info defiantly would make me much more confident in my purchase. Now if I went on to tell you it's not the original transmission or engine (which it isn't), then that fact would deter me even more so from my own car. Further documentation of this would be the only way I could find appeal in my car as a buyer. At which point I would tell said buyer the tranny has 66xxx miles and engine has 120xxx miles on it without documentation! At this point I would start looking for a different car (again, as the buyer).

To me, someone with files is everything. A car with 3 owners or less is everything. The reason why it's salvaged is everything.

myk

Reaction score
As everyone else has said, it depends on the car. I would stay away if the idea of resale value concerns you, because you'll practically have to pay someone to buy it off from you...

red94

Reaction score
The older vehicles get the less damage it takes to total one an get a salvage title. On an older car it could be nothing more than a fender bender. I wouldn't buy a car within a few years of new that was salvage because you'd know that extensive repairs were done. An older car as long as it was repaired correctly an drove straight I wouldn't see an issue picking it up.

This. It doesnt take much of a wreck to total a car that is only worth 3-4k on paper anyway. Ive bought numerous r titled cars, but i always do much research.

joekd

Reaction score
My sons car is a rebuilt title, never would have even considered in the past but seeing how he is a 16yr old driver I know he just needed a reliable car, not something he would ever trade in at a dealer and nothing I would put full insurance on

Car looks good, frame is straight and drives perfect, saved a ton on price because of the title so have been very happy with it

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I found a modded stang for a very reasonable price. It's a street/strip car. You guessed it. The title is salvedged. Car looks and drives mint. No visible damages to frame or anything that I can see. Price is great. I'm usually against this type of thing buying clean low milage cars has been my thing. What are your guys thoughts

If it were me I'd ask where the damage was that caused the title change. It really doesn't take much for any of our cars (unless appraised differently due to a lot of mods) to get totaled. If he says "I don't know" then I would probably pass. If he can show you the damage area, though, and everything looks up-to-par then I wouldn't worry much.

I might be wrong but I don't think you can collect on an insurance claim with a salvaged title. Something to think about and/or look into.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me I've built lots of salvage title cars

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
A salvaged title car will be excellent for a race car that does majority of off-road use, it would have to be built to the moon and if something happened to it, it wont be a big deal. Now for regular pleasure cruising, car shows, or normal duty i wouldn't be able to live it.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If you don't plan on selling it.
If you don't mind the headaches of bolt ons not bolting on.
If you have insurance lined up.
If you are happy and don't mind the title status.

Do it. I have 2 salavage title cars. and they have been repaired poorly. I had wood screws holding on my bumper lol. Instead of pay 7 dollars for the correct pigtail they half assed wired one from a ford escape.

Granted any used car could come with the same issues... yolo

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I bought a salvaged stang... lets just say after 3.5 years it simply wont pass safety for one reason or another so i now am going to swap everything to a clean titled body..... salvage in CT is a huge headache. Id stay away generally.

spank 141

Reaction score
My current 98 cobra is salvaged. It was a fender bender the car doesn't have the original right front fender. I paid half of what the car would have been worth otherwise. I have full coverage and in CA there is nothing extra to get registered it is just like any other car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online